CPU torture testing question

RiftRunner

don't use prime95 if you have the stock cooler because he is not going to handle the quick rise of the temperature even at stock setings

go for a beter cooler befor

Not true at all. The stock cooler is MORE than adequate to run the CPU at stock settings with any workload.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true at all. The stock cooler is MORE than adequate to run the CPU at stock settings with any workload.

Correct. Sounds like the factory Tim is defective. Or the heatsink itself.

Intel Burn Test/Linux is best for stress testing everything on the actual CPU itself. PRIME95 is great for testing the CPU, Memory and especially the North Bridge, which doesn't really get stressed in other tests as far as I know.

Intel Burn Test/Linux is best for stress testing everything on the actual CPU itself. PRIME95 is great for testing the CPU, Memory and especially the North Bridge, which doesn't really get stressed in other tests as far as I know.

Depending on your settings IBT is a great test for your RAM/NB as well.

Depending on your settings IBT is a great test for your RAM/NB as well.

I just ran all of passmark's test and it passed at 3.8ghz, temp maxed on cpu burn test at 64c and held steady, will put new thermal paste on tomorrow when it comes in and if that doesnt help any , i will add a better cooling system

WOOOO HOOOOOOO ! , put arcticsilver 5 on ( took me 3 tries to get it on right, never applied tim before ) , 2 degree drop in temps and still aroung 200hrs cure time left before full effect, anyway 4.0ghz stable with stock cooling, can now run Prime95, max temp 63c , idle 29c.

Now i completely understand the reason for something like Prime95, by running it I discovered that my TIM sucked ( for whatever reason , probly my buddy that built this system ), but now problem solved for around 12 bucks, awsome. THANKS GUYS

you really shouldn't be hitting anything close to 60 C with the stock cooler at stock settings unless you're got extremely high ambient temperatures or something is wrong.

I have the same heat problem with Prime 95. I run small and large FFT torture test with 4 threads and my computer will get to max temp in minutes. I did have one thread error out before max temp, but a little FSB adjustment cleared that right up. I have read people running Prime 95 for hours, but what test do they run? And what settings do they use?

What test and settings do you use Waco?

I know you directly asked Waco but ill answer what I use prime 95 for.

I use prime 95 to test processor and ram stability. To do this I use prime 95 blend test. It utilizes a good portion of your ram to test its data for errors and make sure its stable. This test is a good one IMHO and from using other testers this it works the best IMHO. For gpu testing I use occt gpu and memory tester. Then I follow it with benchmarks such as 3d mark 11 on extreme settings. With the settings tapped out and the gpu and memory working at its peak. This brings the card to its so I get the most stable possible overclock. These tests also test temperature peak. And for complete system temperature peak and to test its ability to sustain itself I use occt powersupply test. It brings the system load at all fronts to a Max and will test complete system stability temperature wise and process wise. I don't use occt for processor testing but its also a good one to use. Its quite the ringer as it builds more heat then prime95 blend or Intel burn test. My 2 cents

Boinker

What test and settings do you use Waco?

I generally use the small fft setting when initially overclocking my CPU and move to the blend test when I'm fairly sure I've got my settings stable.

Edited by Waco