Go ASRock!

Waco

Well I think the Bulldozer might have killed my board...even with my old BIOS it just won't run stable now. :( I'm running a full memtest at stock now just to confirm my RAM is okay...but no CPU settings will pass more than 3 passes of IBT. :/

Screw ASRock...

Well I think the Bulldozer might have killed my board...even with my old BIOS it just won't run stable now. :( I'm running a full memtest at stock now just to confirm my RAM is okay...but no CPU settings will pass more than 3 passes of IBT. :/

Screw ASRock...

I had my motherboard die 6 weeks after I bought it, and was able to RMA it fairly quickly (It took about 2 weeks, including a holiday weekend, from the time I started it to the time I got it back).

Then, about 10 weeks AFTER my replacement came, my board died AGAIN. The RMA was fairly quick again, but when I got it back this time, I put my CPU in to test it... nothing. System powers up, but it hangs at 00 on the Debug LED, and won't POST. They claim that it works under BIOS and Windows, so I'm not sure if it's my CPU or my motherboard. In any case, my birthday's coming up, so I'm thinking about grabbing either a MSI P67A-GD55 or, if I can get the money, a Gigabyte P67A-UD4.

Edit: Of course, I'd love to test my CPU, but I don't have anyone with an 1155 CPU or motherboard, and I flat out refuse to go to Computer Renaissance and pay them to throw it in their computer for 4 seconds to see if it posts.

Edited by iskout

So the RAM failed in my board...testing now with my CPU and RAM in BluePanda's rig. Put her RAM and CPU in my machine to test for good measure as well. :P

Is the memory controller in the northbridge for AMD stuff, or is it on die?

Ugh. Finally figured it out. I think the memory controller in my CPU or something on the board is going bad. With the RAM set to run at 1333 instead of 1600 it passes any number of runs of IBT and memtest is happy. More voltage on the RAM or memory controller won't get it to run at 1600 however (it actually fails faster with higher than stock voltage).

Who knows.

Newegg can't work fast enough to credit me for the FX-8120. :lol:

Ugh. Finally figured it out. I think the memory controller in my CPU or something on the board is going bad. With the RAM set to run at 1333 instead of 1600 it passes any number of runs of IBT and memtest is happy. More voltage on the RAM or memory controller won't get it to run at 1600 however (it actually fails faster with higher than stock voltage).

Who knows.

Newegg can't work fast enough to credit me for the FX-8120. :lol:

you will find that 99.99999% of the time with AMD the secondary timing are way too tight... Especially Max Async... this is the actual Ram slot latency and the faster the ram the looser this timing needs to be.... even if memtest says the ram is happy it really isnt.... Memtest is NOT a good test of memory settings on AMD rigs......

you will find that 99.99999% of the time with AMD the secondary timing are way too tight...

Well unless my board changed between 2 weeks ago and now that's not it. :P. Its loading the XMP spec properly even when everything is set on auto.

that may be fine.... just because it loads and doesnt error and it POST fine doesnt mean it is....

it doesnt have to error to not be right this is the point I am trying to make....those that appear to be fine are actually not. Especially if it has an odd number Multiplier it references from.....

I'd return it on the poor performance alone and wait until either a better board is available or a better BIOS....I doubt that board will ever be right with that CPU

it doesnt have to error to not be right this is the point I am trying to make....those that appear to be fine are actually not. Especially if it has an odd number Multiplier it references from.....

Ah, gotcha.

Well it passed memtest, IBT, and prime95 for my usual stress runs before I got the Bulldozer CPU. Now that I downgraded the BIOS back to what I had originally with my Phenom II it just won't run at 1600 MHz any more (it fails very quickly).

Who knows what actually happened.

I don't think I can return the board though - it ran great for the first 6 months I had it until I dropped the 8120 into it. :pfp:

Ah, gotcha.

Well it passed memtest, IBT, and prime95 for my usual stress runs before I got the Bulldozer CPU. Now that I downgraded the BIOS back to what I had originally with my Phenom II it just won't run at 1600 MHz any more (it fails very quickly).

Who knows what actually happened.

I don't think I can return the board though - it ran great for the first 6 months I had it until I dropped the 8120 into it. :pfp:

Did you try that ram at 1600 in the other board? (sorry if I missed it)

I noticed on mine (witth the 1090t) the auto settings tried to put the ram timmings at 6 rather then the stock 9....then of course it wasnt very stable when I tried to bump it to 4ghz... thought strangly enough it passed ibt with the tight timmings at 3.8ghz... (though would still blue screen when I let it fold while I was at work).. I manually set the timmings rebooted then set them back to auto (except for command rate left at 1t) and they seemed to hold..