VANTEC Tornado "Tame these Beast" if you can...

Yes yes i know i found out after purchasing 2 Vantec Tornado fans

11-999-613-03.JPG

1 92mm

1 80 mm

they are loud as a leaf blower.. :doh:

So now i have to get a proper fan controller than can handle these. if you are not familiar with the fun it uses a 3 port fan control, 4 pin molex for power.

i have the 92mm Tornado box in my hands right here..

"Attached picture of the Box Below"

it says ON THE BOX

Rated Voltage: 12V

Rated Power: 15.6W

Rated Current: 1.0A

Fan Speed: 4800 RPM

Air Flow: 4800 RPM

Noise: 55 dBA

Bearing: Double Ball Bearing

Made in Taiwan

VER 2.0

Model: TD9238H

now according to VANTEC website here:

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/115

it says

Model: TD9238H

Dimension: 92 x 92 x 38 (mm)

Weight: 187g

Rated Voltage: 12 V

Rated Power: 12.5 W

Rated Current: 1.0 AMP

Fan Speed: 4800 RPM

Air Flow: 119 CFM

Noise Level: 56.4 dBA

Bearing System: Double Ball Bearing

AS you can see the RATED POWER is Different from Vantec Website to the Actualy Packaging?? attached picture of the box from the 92mm fan.. :whistling:

also wont i need a adapter? http://www.svc.com/4to3ad.html

like that because the vantec uses 2 cords... one 4 pin to the power supply and a 3 pin for control?

i have it narrowed down to these i think

http://goo.gl/Q7Tj1

just wondering if i need any Adapters also!

If anyone can suggest the best fan controller and the exact adapters i will need to run both vantec tornado fans you are awesome!!

post-79280-0-43690600-1319428442_thumb.jpg

Edited by ComputerRepair

If you have a case that is mesh. I would get this one.

NZXT Sentry Fan controller "newegg link"

One of our reviewers actually reviewed that particular item and I believe he had many good things to say.

Check it out. Nvidia_Freaks Review on the NZXT Fan controller.

There is one more that NZXT put the Sentry Mix fan controller here to. Nvidia_freaks review of the NZXT Sentry Mix fan controller.

Both those fan controllers are rated at 30 watts DC per channel (30 watts a plug) and should handle a couple of tornados of that caliber without sweating.

Hope this helps.

Boinker.

Edit:

Crap... you will need converter plugs for those. ON IT....... Give me a minute and I will post a link to them soon.

Here is one Converter

The easiest solution here is to either run them at 7 volts by making an adapter or to get different fans. :lol: A fan controller will likely cost you more than a couple decent replacement fans and will end up being louder as well (Tornados don't really sound much better when running "slow").

EDIT: If you went the adapter route with a fan controller you'd need these: http://www.svc.com/3pinto4pinad.html

You need 3 pin FEMALE to 4 pin molex MALE plugs since the fan controller will have 3 pin male plugs.

Edited by Waco

LOL i have the same fans. They are awesome when benching, but yeah they are a pain to control. Make sure to get a controller that supports 12+volts. I burned out two scythe controllers that did not live up to spec by running these fans through it. And btw, running 12v fans through a 7v controller will not slow the fans down, it will burn out the controller.

You are probably better off buying something else, imo its not worth the hassle to get them under control unless you want a serious benching machine.

• Like 1

NZXT Sentry Fan controller "newegg link"

One of our reviewers actually reviewed that particular item and I believe he had many good things to say.

Timely recommendation. I just saw that controller this weekend when I was browsing at the Egg and thought that would be a

perfect controller for myself :)

• Like 1

i did email vantec telling them how newegg and their own website had the wrong info for the fan watts and this is all they said back:

Dear Valued Customer,

I am sorry for that and the package is the correct specification.

If you have any further question, please don't hesitate to ask and we will do our best to answer them.

Regards,

Technical Support

Vantec Thermal Technologies

:withstupid: :withstupid:

hahahah i just checked Vantecs website and they fixed it LOL!!!!!!!!!

Also i was wondering if it would be a good idea to take off my cpu heatsink and clean off the old thermal paste and apply some new since the pc is about 2 years old? i also have the Geforce gtx-260 graphics card, should i replace the paste on that also?

Edited by ComputerRepair

Also i was wondering if it would be a good idea to take off my cpu heatsink and clean off the old thermal paste and apply some new since the pc is about 2 years old? i also have the Geforce gtx-260 graphics card, should i replace the paste on that also? [/size]

Yep, it would be a good idea on the cpu. Not sure on the graphics card because I don't know what cooler is on it. If it has a cooler that also covers the memory and/or other chips on the pcb, be advised that you should pick up some new thermal pads too. Often the full block covers are designed for grease on the gpu core and pads on the memory / other chipsets. Since the pads are thicker than the grease, if you attempt to put thermal grease on everything you may find out the the heatsink doesn't make any contact with the memory chips or other chips that may be cooled.

NZXT Sentry Fan controller

Parts of my front panel are mesh on my Chieftec Bigtower Mesh... I've long been putting off making a fan controller (I have all the electronic parts), and the low-profile and mesh front sold this for me.

Ordered, cheers for the recommendation! :D