i7 980X on Asus Sabertooth O/C help please.

RazerM

Ok, so this is my current setup:-

Asus Sabertooth X58 mobo, (1006 Bios Rev)

i7 Extreme 980X Cpu @ Stock with stock cooler.

Corsair Dominator GT 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-15000C9 1866MHz Triple Channel,

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SuperClocked 1536MB GDDR5,

Corsair 950W TX Series PSU - 78A 12V Rail

Asus Xonar D2 PCI 7.1 Sound Card

CPUZ Validation Link

spdi.th.jpg

memoryw.th.jpg

cputp.th.jpg

Basically, i'm looking for any and all help to get me started using my rig to it's full potential.

Im looking to whack another GTX 580 in there too so im guessing o/c'ing the CPU will be helpful there too.

Please remember that atm i'm using a stock cooler, but if necessary I dont mind buying something a bit more suitable (but i'd rather stay away from liquid cooling if at all poss, had a rather nasty experience with it once lol)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Well the 980x with a stock cooler is like buying a Ferrari and then taking an ugly girl for a ride ;) So the very 1st thing I would do if I were you, would be to start looking at aftermarket cooling solutions! If you really want to maximize the potential of your rig, then overclocking the 980x is a must :evilgrin: When it comes to aftermarket cooling solutions, if you want to stay away from water, you will probably get the most OC headroom from the Noctura NH-D14. I have never owned one, but for the overclockers on air, they seem to be the favorite!

So, just curious, what was your nasty experience with water? I personally LOVE water :biggrin:

So, just curious, what was your nasty experience with water? I personally LOVE water :biggrin:

Well, one of my first attempts at water cooling resulting in a pipe popping off and flooding the inside of my case.

Luckily it was that non-conductive stuff but still..

Seriously looking at getting the Corsair H100 cooler, but a little worried it's not gonna fit in my case (Xigmatek Utgard) So it looks like I "might" have to upgrade that too (or go for a lower model cooler)

Been looking at the CM HAF-X (as that seems to be the one everyone mentions lol) ofc if poss I would rather try to save the expense of upgrading the case, but I've read mixed things about wether the H100 fits ok. Some people say it does and some say it doesnt and I really don't want the hassle of ordering it, not being able to fit it, then having to wait for a new case before I can fit it lol.

if you had a real water setup i think you'll be dissapointed over those all-in-one "things"

high end air has always been able to compete. i cant imagine having that happen to me, id shed a tear then break something

Speed the Stock cooler for the 990 is much different than what you are most likely envisioning. My 980 went to 4.3 GHz with reasonable temperatures.

Looky here

Haha, yea I forget it wasn't the little crappy cooler that came with the rest of the 1366 line.