High idle temps?

SkytTe

Hi there.

My system is in my signature. The thing I'm wondering about is if my temps for CPU and GPU are too hot?

I've been idling for about 5 hours now (has been downloading, but I guess it has no influence on the CPU and GPU?) and my avg temp for my GPU is 47.5 C and my highest reading for the CPU has been 45 C (37 lowest), using Core Temp and GPU-Z. I find these temps very high, since I would have expected especially the GPU to be idling in the 30'ies, even though I only have the two stock fans installed in my HAF 912 +.

I don't know the exact tempature in my room, but I guess it's about 22 C.

Would a fan on the side panel help? Turn up the fan speed on the cores?

Should be mentioned nothing is OC'd. Everything is stock.

Help me out here, do I need better cooling?

- Skytte

Why would you expect idling in the 30s with a stock cooler? They throttle the fan speeds down a lot at idle to keep noise levels in check.

Those temps look perfectly acceptable to me, for what it's worth.

Why would you expect idling in the 30s with a stock cooler? They throttle the fan speeds down a lot at idle to keep noise levels in check.

Those temps look perfectly acceptable to me, for what it's worth.

Because of this -> http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_6870_directcu/15.htm

How do I manually adjust the fan speeds?

Get afterburner and underclock the 2d component you should see a temp reduction at idle but idle doesn't really mean jack what are you getting under load?

You could also fill out the extra spots in the case I would suggest move the front 120 to the side as an intake blowing directly onto gpu leave the second 120 as exhaust at the back. Then pick up two 200mm fans for front intake and top exhaust.

Edit: that's a different case with whatever fans the review has installed.

And you could use a utility given with your card or downloadable from the website of the card.

Although I say get afterburner use it to underclock 2d performance and to set up a custom fan profile.

Edited by Stonerboy779

Got a max reading of 59 C for the CPU, running blend test with Prime95 for 20 mins.

Had a max reading of 62.5 C for the GPU, running 3DMark06. Had a stable 60 C throughout Canyon Flight, where the GPU stays at 100% load.

Adding more fans would make it quite a noicy computer I guess? :s

Underclock? Well, I don't want to underclock anything for the expence of perfomance :D

for better temps if you don't overclock, you should put the v-core of the cpu at 1.25 , as for the gpu my asus eah 6870 dc at idle with 27-28 oC in the room it is at 40-41 oC

From my experience idle temps doesn't really matter much, unless you're really obsessed with it yourself. The load temps is the important bit. I've found ambient temps to matter more than most cooling setups. Of course cooling matters, but I've had a serious difference in temps when my room was just 4-5 degrees cooler than usual. But who wants their room to be freezing cold?

59 degrees seems ok to me when running 20min prime. Unless the temps are different for amd. I don't know a lot about amd cpu's.

I know this only adressed the cpu part of the question.

Got a max reading of 59 C for the CPU, running blend test with Prime95 for 20 mins.

Had a max reading of 62.5 C for the GPU, running 3DMark06. Had a stable 60 C throughout Canyon Flight, where the GPU stays at 100% load.

Adding more fans would make it quite a noicy computer I guess? :s

Underclock? Well, I don't want to underclock anything for the expence of perfomance :D

Well 200mm fans are very quiet in operation so it's not going to add lots of noise.

Also underclocking 2d performance is fine there is no need to run 2d applications with the same high clocks you have for 3d ones. So underclocking 2d will drop the temps you experience in 2d apps and at idle too.

Well 200mm fans are very quiet in operation so it's not going to add lots of noise.

Also underclocking 2d performance is fine there is no need to run 2d applications with the same high clocks you have for 3d ones. So underclocking 2d will drop the temps you experience in 2d apps and at idle too.

Guess I'm going to shop some fans then :) Any recommendations? Atm I have a 200 mm megaflow (700 rpm/19 dBA) in the front and a 120 mm (1200 rpm/17 dBA)

I thought of getting another 200 mm megaflow for the top of my case and then I don't know if I should get a 120 mm or 140 mm for the side panel, and which one it should be then. There's a lot of different fans out there :O Maybe the Fractal Design FD Silent Series 120mm 15 db?