Buying a UPS for my PC

Ricky C

Hi

I am looking to get a UPS for my PC, to prevent damage in case of a power cut/serge. I was looking at getting one of these http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR900GI&total_watts=200. I need to check if this will be good enough to keep my PC running enough with one monitor so that i can shut it down (PC details are in my signature).

Thanks

You'll pull no more than 400W whilst gaming with one monitor and a lot less if not gaming so I guess a minimum of 10 minutes, probably longer, will be more than enough?

I haven't had any problems with the mains up here in Lancashire for years (possibly one short power cut overnight but that's it) so I'm surprised you feel the need for UPS.

That should be more than enough to save your work and shut down.

Dont expect much more, but I recon you could get up to 10-15 minutes run time out of that.

Remember, UPS batteries die over time. Expect to replace them at least every 3 years if not sooner. (Depending on use)

Keep in mind that the UPS has a dataport that can connect to your PC via USB. If you set it up, your PC can automatically shut itself down when the UPS kicks on (length of time on battery, battery level, etc.). You may only get 10 or so min depending on everything you have connected, but that doesn't mean you have to be there to shut it down. ;)

Typically, you would want to figure your VA usage and then add about 20-25% to that for expansion.