New CPU + OC

nickk47

Yeah I got my Wolfdale E6500 Pentium Dual core in there now, running at 4.0 GHz, seems to be stable but that is not confirmed yet as I am running Prime95 at this instant and will be for another 12 hours.

Just a weird thing I'm seeing is that Core 0 is always around 4-5 celcius higher than Core 1. ALWAYS. Whether it's idling or on full load. Never had this much of a difference for my Core 2. What do you guys think?

And what load temp would you guys tolerate for a Wolfdale? (for a system that will be on for at least 12-18 hours a day)

Ugh, Prime95 just detected hardware failure and stopped. It should easily reach 4.0 GHz though...Maybe it needs more juice. Im giving it 1.39 volts atm, and top temp was 65C, which is not even that hot is it?

Edited by nickk47

Don't worry about the difference in core temps as long as you're comfortable that you got your cpu cooler properly installed. You fail to mention exactly what the temps are during stress testing..... :) Hard to comment on whether they are good or not.

Here's directly from Intel on the max operating temperature and voltage range;

Thermal and Power

Intel® Pentium® Processor E6500

AT80571PH0772ML 2.93 GHz 1066 MHz 2 MB Unified

65 watts...........0.85V – 1.5V...........5° C to 74.1° C

During the stress testing, the max temp was around 65-67 C, While the 2nd core is 61 C. This might be due to the Thermal Compound being fresh? It is probably not broken in yet.

Thanks for the info. I think it is unstable because it does not have enough juice. I will give it more voltage, and watch the temps so it does not go above 70 C or so.

Edit: Nvm, I decided to change the frequency to 3.93 GHz and go from there. I hope I can reach the 4 GHz club soon. It just sounds faster too. 4000 Mhz of goodness mmmm

Edited by nickk47

The core voltage is 1.368 v.

It's been a whole day on that voltage, at 3.93 GHz rock solid. I think 1.38 ish voltage and 4.0 GHz is achievable? I will test this tonight. I won't be satisfied with anything less than 4.0 ghz!!

Edited by nickk47

Okay, so I upped the voltage to 1.425 which is a lil higher than I wanted it at but max temp was only 70 C with rock solid results of 8 hours of Prime95!! YEAHHH 4.0GHZ WOOOOOO

Also had to fiddle with the fsb ratios, but its all good ;)

Edited by nickk47

Congrats. Did you have to bump the NB voltage or anything else to get 4.0Ghz stable?

You might be able to drop the cpu vcore down a little bit if you wanted to fiddle with the northbridge and cpu pll voltages............. just a thought.