Which PSU is more silent?

You could always do what I do... mod the PSU fan with a Noctua NF-P12. You won't be able to keep the variable fan speed, but even at full speed, it's really quiet. I just put the 7V resistor on it and you'll never hear a sound from the PSU, and it'll keep very well cooled off. You just void the warranty is all. :P

OK you could replace the Corsair TX850 140mm fan with a Noctua 120mm but why? :blink:

The fan on the Corsair TX 850, a Yate Loon D14BH-12, pushes 170 cubic m/hr at 1800RPM (got up to 2100RPM at full load when tested here), the Noctua NF-P12 only manages 90 cubic m/hr. I don't know what a 7V resistor is (fan powered from +5V as 0V and +12V rail?) but you are obviously reducing the Noctua airflow even further, way below the original Yate Loon fan. You've definately made it quieter but I'll guarantee it's running hotter than it should and it's not a mod I'd not recommend especially if you are pushing the power supply. ;)

OK you could replace the Corsair TX850 140mm fan with a Noctua 120mm but why? :blink:

The fan on the Corsair TX 850, a Yate Loon D14BH-12, pushes 170 cubic m/hr at 1800RPM (got up to 2100RPM at full load when tested here), the Noctua NF-P12 only manages 90 cubic m/hr. I don't know what a 7V resistor is (fan powered from +5V as 0V and +12V rail?) but you are obviously reducing the Noctua airflow even further, way below the original Yate Loon fan. You've definately made it quieter but I'll guarantee it's running hotter than it should and it's not a mod I'd not recommend especially if you are pushing the power supply. ;)

That was one of the risks I was willing to take, but the distance of the fan to the components are so close, I hardly think CFM's make too much of a difference. This was 2 or more years ago, and it's still running strong, even when being pushed for hours. That's at 78.5 cubic m/hr. :P

You aren't really stretching it and I doubt you ever go beyond 50% loading on that Corsair TX650 so it will be fairly quiet. ;)

There are in reality very few silent power supplies when fully loaded. If you really want silent then approximate your worst case power draw, double this figure to give you a power supply wattage and go for one with 80 Plus Gold rating. This is the only practical way to keep cooling fan speeds and hence noise to a minimum.

A case with a bottom mounted power supply that draws cooler room in will also help.

agreed :), i am drawing very little power with my pc