Grado SR80i, or Audio Technica AHT-AD700

GabrielT

I am thinking about picking up a new pair cans because my Senn's are back home and I never liked the 515's as much as I though I would.

That being said im in about the $100 range for new cans and I wanted to get some feedback on what I should get.

The audio technicas look well built and I like the look more than the Grado's.

I really like both of these but I am leaning towards the Grado's. The SR60's look nice too.

Any thoughts or idea on something better?

Edited by gabrieltessin

AD700 + Sr80i are better than 555 IMO.

Gabriel, what kind of music do you like? AD700 is kind of screechy, as it's heavy on highs and lows are somewhat flat. Sr80i is kind of the opposite, as it has a bass bias.

I have the audio technicas<br>it is true that the headphones are balanced and not heavy on the thumping bass<br>I dont know too much about grados, but I dont like the ear muffs, I prefer over the ear<br>either one you choose you want to get some kind of amp for them, albeit sound card/built in or external<br>I wouldnt waste any money on sennheiser unless you were going over 200$<br><br><br><br>

HD 555's get similar reviews to my 515's and I am looking for something new.

AD700 + Sr80i are better than 555 IMO.

Gabriel, what kind of music do you like? AD700 is kind of screechy, as it's heavy on highs and lows are somewhat flat. Sr80i is kind of the opposite, as it has a bass bias.

I am kind of a bass head by nature but not to the point where it is all I want to here.

Bass head is not the right term, I just seem to get fatigued very quickly when listening to music that is heavy on the highs.

I have never owned a pait of Grado's, are they well made? My HD 515s feel like they are going to fall apart at any moment buy have held up really well.

I don't have a real amp of any kind just eh one that is in my Zonar card so I need something easy to drive like the sr80i's. I just want to buy something I like this time.

HD 555's get similar reviews to my 515's and I am looking for something new.

I am kind of a bass head by nature but not to the point where it is all I want to here.

Bass head is not the right term, I just seem to get fatigued very quickly when listening to music that is heavy on the highs.

I have never owned a pait of Grado's, are they well made? My HD 515s feel like they are going to fall apart at any moment buy have held up really well.

I don't have a real amp of any kind just eh one that is in my Zonar card so I need something easy to drive like the sr80i's. I just want to buy something I like this time.

Grados are pretty well made. I typically rate them between Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic in terms of quality, sound, and construction. They also make headsets almost exclusively biased towards bass, though.

For DAC I'd get a Fiio E7, but I've never been much into amps. I've always used a Fiio E9, which a friend of mine sold to me for $30.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided to stick with my HD 515's for home listening so I looked around for something more portable. I fiddled with my EQ settings with my 515's to get the sound I wanted out of them.

What I ended up with was a pair of Dr. Dre iBeats ear buds.

They are pretty punchy for earbuds, much more boomy than expected but not like there is a sub in my head. It's about right for me, more bass would be welcomed most of the time but these are right where I think they should be.

Comfort wise I'm still trying out all 7 pairs of earpiece thingies it came with O.o

Mids are good, high's are slightly exaggerated but enough to bother me.

Excellent detail across the whole range, unfortunately these phones really pick up imperfections in bad rips.

Sound stage is great for in ear's, not huge though.

These are about equal to my 515's in overall sound. I would say good buy.

Could have gotten Klipsch Image S4 :(

Shoulda coulda woulda I guess. I like these. The only problem people have with them is that they break them. They seem sturdy though.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!