First overclock, need help

Hello,

I am doing my first overclock with my i5-750 and ASUS p7H57D-V EVO mobo and Arctic Freezer Xtreme rev.2 cooler.

The problem is that this will be my first overclock and I can't find any guides with these specs.

So maybe you guys could help me out and give me some info. I'm new by the way.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I bought this setup 2nd hand. It was allready overclocked to 3.8Ghz, but when I put in new Ram (2x4gb Geil) the overclock was gone. So I have to overclock it again but dont know how.

Hi CC. Welcome to the OCC forums!

Enter BIOS.

Go to AI Tweaker Menu

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual

CPU Ratio Setting - 20

Intel Speedstep Tech - Disabled (can be enabled later if system is stable)

Intel Turbomode Tech - Disabled

Extreme Phase Full Power Mode - Enabled

BCLK - 190

PCIE Frequency - 100

DRAM Frequency - you didn't state your memory brand or model so I don't have any idea what speed it should run at - adjust the multiplier to yield a frequency equal to or slightly below your memory specification

QPI Frequency - 6.407Mhz

OC Tuner - Good Performance

DRAM Timing Control - Input the four primary memory timings specified on your memory modules

CPU Differential Amplitude - Auto

CPU Clock Skew - Auto

CPU Voltage Mode - Fixed

CPU Voltage - 1.40v (this is only a starting point and if your rig is stable decrease this value .02v at a time, retest and repeat until you find the minimum voltage your can run at)

IMC Voltage - Auto for now

DRAM Voltage - Input the value specified by your memory mfg.

CPU PLL Voltage - Auto for now

PCH Voltage - Auto for now

iGPU Voltage - Auto

Loadline Calibration - Enabled

CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled

PCIe Spread Spectrum - Disabled

You can leave everything else alone.

This configuration should boot and let you start tweaking here and there. Especially need to determine exactly what voltage is needed for your particular processor to run at 3.8Ghz. I've given you a fairly aggressive starting point at 1.40V (which is the max spec. according to Intel). However we all know that you have to throw that out the window if you want to get truly spectacular o/c's. On the other hand there isn't any reason to overvolt your processor if it will do 3.8Ghz at 1.35v either.

You don't mention what CPU cooler you have, so you need to keep an eye on cpu temps, especially loaded temps.

Hi CC. Welcome to the OCC forums!

Enter BIOS.

Go to AI Tweaker Menu

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual

CPU Ratio Setting - 20

Intel Speedstep Tech - Disabled (can be enabled later if system is stable)

Intel Turbomode Tech - Disabled

Extreme Phase Full Power Mode - Enabled

BCLK - 190

PCIE Frequency - 100

DRAM Frequency - you didn't state your memory brand or model so I don't have any idea what speed it should run at - adjust the multiplier to yield a frequency equal to or slightly below your memory specification

QPI Frequency - 6.407Mhz

OC Tuner - Good Performance

DRAM Timing Control - Input the four primary memory timings specified on your memory modules

CPU Differential Amplitude - Auto

CPU Clock Skew - Auto

CPU Voltage Mode - Fixed

CPU Voltage - 1.40v (this is only a starting point and if your rig is stable decrease this value .02v at a time, retest and repeat until you find the minimum voltage your can run at)

IMC Voltage - Auto for now

DRAM Voltage - Input the value specified by your memory mfg.

CPU PLL Voltage - Auto for now

PCH Voltage - Auto for now

iGPU Voltage - Auto

Loadline Calibration - Enabled

CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled

PCIe Spread Spectrum - Disabled

You can leave everything else alone.

This configuration should boot and let you start tweaking here and there. Especially need to determine exactly what voltage is needed for your particular processor to run at 3.8Ghz. I've given you a fairly aggressive starting point at 1.40V (which is the max spec. according to Intel). However we all know that you have to throw that out the window if you want to get truly spectacular o/c's. On the other hand there isn't any reason to overvolt your processor if it will do 3.8Ghz at 1.35v either.

You don't mention what CPU cooler you have, so you need to keep an eye on cpu temps, especially loaded temps.

Thank you very much. I'll post back on what voltage I needed.

You really helped me out.

CunningCobra12

YW. Keep us posted.

Wev

I got 3800Mhz now but some functions like extreme phase Full Power mode were not available. So I think i need to update the bios.

I have got it set to 1.35Volts now and it works good. And what is the fastest way to see if the system is stable. I have a foto in the attachment wich shows the temps when in windows.

Are thos temps normal? or not. I got 2 case fans installed and an arctic cooling xtreme rev.2.

The DDR timings are correct but I can't set my memory clock to 1333mhz. It is below or above 1333mhz.

I also can't set the QPI to 6,407. Is that also because of old bios?

Thanks for the help. I'm glad I have it running at 3.8 now. Just some fine tuning and I think it will work.

post-78253-0-40903100-1311185562_thumb.png

Edited by CunningCobra12

Surely they are load temps........ no?

If those are idle temps CC you need to remove. clean, reapply TIM and reseat your cpu heatsink. You should be down somewhere in the mid to upper 30s at idle.

On the QPI - set it to the lowest available setting for now (should be 6.4 or somewhere there abouts)

If you don't have the latest BIOS, clear your BIOS, reset to default values and flash to the latest available BIOS revision.

I was working directly out of the owners manual, so some BIOS naming conventions/options may have changed.

But 3.8Ghz was what you were looking for and you're there.

As far as stress testing goes - don't do anything until you tell us whether the temps shown above are idle or load temps.

from the looks of it, looks like right after windows loaded.

These are the temps when in windows. The load is about 50/60 percent then.

With TIM you mean Thermal Paste? What Thermal Paste should I buy. As I said I have the Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme rev. 2 . I thought it was a good cooler for this kind of overclock.

Yes you're right these are the temps right after windows started.

CunningCobra12

Edited by CunningCobra12

Lots of good to great thermal paste solutions out there. Personally I use Arctic Silver 5 for my cpu heatsink mounting, but there are other good ones too.

I bought the Zalman ZM-STG1 Thermal paste. It was the only one my pc shop sold. It is as good as AS5 but a lot more expensive.

I''ll reply if the TIM helps.