Burn Temps Matter?

VaporX

Okay guys thought this would be an interesting discussion. let me explain why this came to mind and then open the floor.

Recently I had myself a little overclocking adventure with my new 2500K processor. During this adventure I measured temperatures using Real Temp and stressed the CPU using Prime 95. I finally settled into a 4.1 Ghz overclock with stock every setting excpet clock speed and a temp under load of 70C. Fast forward to today.

I was browsing the internet when I got curious and fired up Real Temp to get a feel for what the system was running at idle. The system was idling nicely at 29C so all was good but I was curious now about how it would do under my regualr loading. So with this in mind I fired up Champions Online and gamed for 3 hours. When I got done I looked at the Real Temp readings and my hi temp was only 50C. This got me to thinking. NO APP with the excpetion of folding type apps and burn in software, ever really loads up the CPU, at least not for solid extended times.

With this in mind my question is, does the temp reading we get during testing really matter? I mean think about it, lets say your CPU under load testing is crawling around the 80C mark. Most of us would automatically be concerned about cooling better. However looking at typcial use results that same system will likely never crest 60c to 65c, so does that 80c number really matter?

I open the floor....

I've noticed that, most games don't get anywhere near the temps that stress testing software does. Even after a few hours.

Question is how much will a raise in ambient temperatures affect cooling if you overclock it based on regular load temps vs stress test temps? With stress test temps, you got some leeway. With regular load temps, you're already at that barrier.

Edited by Krazyxazn

It's a matter of safety and stability. If it stands up to proper stress testing then it's safe and stable for everyday use.

You're going to find games that will stress your CPU much more than Champions Online. Having the security of knowing your system can handle it puts your mind at ease.

It's just a gauge when you stress test.100% load and temps. Of course you will run lower when gaming and daily use. I am trying to understand where your going? We stress our systems to get the max temp and voltages at a safe level. Once its tuned, it is set.

What I am getting it is do any of you ignore the overclock temp excpet for throttling during testing, becuase you know it will not matter again in the real world usage?

I do not ignore any of my temps. I always take them into consideration and I do not expect the "real world" to always be in play. My computer must be self sustaining under the worst circumstance (load, air conditioning failure, excessive work load) and has been tested to do as such.

And yes my chip is stable up to its temperature ceiling and will thermal throttle and stay stable when needed. The graphics cards are treated no different.

You should never ignore temperatures because they are usually the first indicators of an improper overclock or a bad chip. I understand where you are going and I have pondered the same issue myself. When you stress-test an overclock you are looking for the absolute maximum temperature the chip will ever reach. Even though you may not reach this temperature daily, it is good to have a little bit of headroom just as Krazyxazn mentioned. I do not like to run my i7-930 above 70C but when stress-testing it will reach 75C and I am comfortable that it will not burn up until it runs at 90C for a while. Folding, gaming, and video rendering do not push it above 70C and this lets me know I have a comfortable overclock.

Boinker made a good point in that you need to allow room for external and internal failures. What happens if a case fan stops working, if you get too much dust on the heatsink, if your A/C breaks in your house? You should allow some headroom so that you have ample opportunity to fix the issue before the chip burns itself.

In short, the stress-test temperature matters but it is a personal preference as to whether you take this number into consideration. If you are confident that your 80C stress-tested system will not break 70C under normal gaming/folding conditions and have monitored your system long enough to be familiar with its ins and outs then keep the overclock but monitor closely. It is always a good idea to keep a temperature monitor open. Since there are Win 7 gadgets that utilize Core Temp it is not much of a hassle.

Hope this helps!

Speaking of stability I was at a lan party last night and I watched A guy BSOD with a Code 3B on his I7 platform. Its hilarious because I wold him to increase the Vcore and that should help it stable out unless its over 80c.

His excuss for the BSOD was It got too hot...... :rofl:

Speaking of stability I was at a lan party last night and I watched A guy BSOD with a Code 3B on his I7 platform. Its hilarious because I wold him to increase the Vcore and that should help it stable out unless its over 80c.

His excuss for the BSOD was It got too hot...... :rofl:

:pfp: shameful haha

What I am getting it is do any of you ignore the overclock temp excpet for throttling during testing, becuase you know it will not matter again in the real world usage?

Not a chance.

I actually load down my CPU completely relatively often...why buy a quad/hex core and never use it? Your "real world" usage may never be very stressful but not everyone uses their machine the same way.

I don't want an A/C failure, fan failure, etc to damage my parts so I try to stay well within the range of comfort in terms of temperatures when overclocking.

Not a chance.

I actually load down my CPU completely relatively often...why buy a quad/hex core and never use it? Your "real world" usage may never be very stressful but not everyone uses their machine the same way.

I don't want an A/C failure, fan failure, etc to damage my parts so I try to stay well within the range of comfort in terms of temperatures when overclocking.

yeah, I'm pretty sure temperature is what killed my ASRock Extreme4. My CPU was perfectly cool, but my motherboard was running hot (partially why I'm buying a new case as soon as I can). I ignored it, and one day it shut off and never turned back on again.

yeah, I'm pretty sure temperature is what killed my ASRock Extreme4. My CPU was perfectly cool, but my motherboard was running hot (partially why I'm buying a new case as soon as I can). I ignored it, and one day it shut off and never turned back on again.

I know it's what killed my last board...it burst into flames. :P