Need a reliable SSD

Darth_Tom

So your drives won't die faster but your failure rate or chance for a drive to fail has been divided by 1/4. the MTTF rate is a 1/4 of any single drive that sounds to me like your saying your hdd will fail faster when you raid0. Since having more drives and more complexity also mean, that if you have your controller in achi mode with 4 drives attached to it that your MTTF rate will be 1/4 of the time as well? Wouldn't with this same logic also mean that 4 drives in raid1 would be 1/4 the life span and a lower MTTF rate?

I wouldn't say the MTTF has been cut down to a quarter but you're still throwing 4 dies out onto the playing field and exponentially increasing the chance of data failure.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say the MTTF has been cut down to a quarter but you're still throwing 4 dies out onto the playing field and exponentially increasing the chance of data failure.

Well of course I totaly understand why the data has a greater risk of failure. I just don't understand what changes that makes the physical hardware go out faster.

Well of course I totaly understand why the data has a greater risk of failure. I just don't understand what changes that makes the physical hardware go out faster.

Well nothing really, just the odds are against you for snagging a weak link the more you lasso up