Black screen crash?

Hey all I've been folding with my computer for the last 2 months and unexepectedly come out with this problem some time during last night. The monitor wouldnt turn back on, and the cpu/gpu's weren't pumping out any heat, so I guess it crashed.

I dont know anything about black screen crashes, whats the deal? I'm running an SMP client, and two GPU3 clients. I guessed this might be a video card problem so posted in this section.

Ok checked the IOH in bios its set too auto (1.11v) and HWmonitor in windows see's it as the same (1.11-1.12v). What do you make of that boinker? I'm not sure what it should be for two cards.

I've just come back from holidays and had left the computer folding smp, gpu x 2 for two weeks straight with no hitch, temps didnt go any higher than normal. Two days after I was back and still running continuous, it BSOD a 124 code. Could this have any relation to the northbridge voltage?

Gotta start with the basics.

Pull one video card from secondary PCIe slot.

Reset the motherboard BIOS.

Reboot and see if you get video. If you don't get video pull current card and install the second card. Repeat test.

Essentially eliminate that either of your cards has died.

If both cards work fine in the primary PCIe slot it's time to make sure that your secondary PCIe slot hasn't given up the ghost. Repeat testing with both video cards, this time swapping cards between the first and second PCIe slot and see what happens.

Try another vga, dvi or hdmi cable to eliminate a simple problem such as a bad interface cable.

Since the rig has ran continuously for two months without issue the last place I'd START looking is voltages. Eliminate all other possibilities first.

Wev any idea what it would be? Ive left it folding for an hour yesterday smp and two gpu's, but the problem didn't occur. Also gaming in crysis 2 for 30 min and no problem. I've never had a black screen lock so don't know what it's related too

Hoody, my very first guess would be either heat or power related. Any unusually high ambient temps in the house, office or room that your PC is in?

How about power spikes or brown outs?

You could also take a look at the Applications and Systems logs in the Windows Event Viewer and see if you can find any errors or warnings in the log that correlate to the time that you experienced the screen lock.

Nonetheless, I'm glad that both cards are working again.