Seti Vs. Folding

c0ld

Okay yeah you guys are right we will all die but would you want to die at 9..12.21...54 no you want to live as long as you can. But wouldn't it be nice if you had one of these diseases and because of folding they were able to make a pill that would cure it. Sure there is pain in life but people with lets say cancer feel much more then i think any normal person will feel. when my uncle first started treatment he wasn't even able to smell food for weeks without puking he lost all of his hair. Even now in the hospital as i said he is in so much pain the morphine they have to give him to stop it pretty much makes him vegetable. The world would be a much better place without these diseaeses.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If everyone was motivated completely by selfishness then we would have gone nowere as a race... What if Caveman "ugh" and "zugh" never hunted togeather to get food, or ugh never tought zugh how to make a spear there would be no forward progress (basic principle of community)... Though we may have the instinct of being selfish as a race, people neglect the fact that people also have the capacity for sharing and community... A better way to look at is, all have the need for competition, not selfishness. With competition there is a comunal wide goal for progress yet one has the ability to stand above another in rank.

I agree with both sides in this thread. diseases are bad. and hurt people.. but also it is there for a reason. to keepthe balance of life. humans are over populating... wich is bad for everythin gelse on this planet.. this is one of those topics with no answer like amd vs intel.. nvidia vs ati.. etc... but there are a lot of good points for both sides\\

edit in reply to dignan: well what about the wars to own the land in the "new wolrd" back in the fur trading and exploration days? everyone wanted it to be powerfull. to be the richest. what about war in general? sure wecan all say to protect our homelands which is great..which is the turth. but there is also anothe rside of it.

Edited by roadkills_13th

Well i'm done your right diseases are here for a reason everyone is entitled to an opinion but the original post just seemed so heartless it was like if you saw a man with a bag full of groceries walking past a man who was starving and would soon die if he had no food. Sure the man can give him food but he doesn't he has things that he thinks are more important then a starving man. Sure people ahve to die for human race to exist but he could have saved that man but he decided not to because he has so called better things to do with the food.

Now I wonder if your view on Folding would be the same if no one in your family had any of the diseases Folding looks at?

Yes it would. Doesn't matter if it's my family, your family, Celtica's fmaily, or John Doe's family... I'm doing this to help find a cure so that people don't have to live with these diseases, doesn't matter who I help... just feels good to know that I am helping.

edit in reply to digman: well what about the wars to own the land in the "new wolrd" back in the fur trading and exploration days? everyone wanted it to be powerfull. to be the richest. what about war in general? sure wecan all say to protect our homelands which is great..which is the turth. but there is also anothe rside of it.

As I said about competition and furthering a community vs selfishness.

Community = European countries

Competition = Native americans

As the European communities strived to expand and move forward, they found competition with native americans. Since the Europeans were more advanced technologically they killed off the native americans without problems, competition eliminated, and a community moved forward with even more progress...

As for war the same philosophy applies both sides have community wishing to forward themselves, and both are competition to eachother...

I don't get the homeland comment at all....

^ for dignan. the native's welcomed the europeans/ vikings/ french/ everyone else. but wht did they get in return? they got killed and the remaining are now sheved the hell holes we call native camps. their cultiure/ religion/ language is slowly slipping away. now is that what you call competition? the natives wernt competition.. they had canoes and arrows. the europens had guns and metals

also to add to what i said earlyer..

i didnt leave folding because i think that we should all die. and we shouldnt make us humans live longer than we do.. seriously we live long enough... but i left it because it caused to much problems... probally because of my genetic ram.. but w/e.... i do believe helping people is good also.... actually i have split opionions... :blink::unsure:

Edited by roadkills_13th

there are circumstances why people fail. maybe others pushed them down? not all homeless people are failures. some of them had no choice. for example if their child hood was hst .. their family was abusive.. drunks .. would you stay or run and make it on your own?

some of them might actually be briliant but never got the chance.

Edited by roadkills_13th

See here is the heartless ness again. Your saying if there was a man set infront of you that would die unless you gave him food that you wouldn't because he doesn't deserve it. You would watch a man die just because he couldn't make it himself. The name cold really fits you well.

Humanity as a whole always tries to find ways to cure problems and seems to do so in a methodical way (natural predisposition). May it be over population or protein mis-folding related diseases... You cope with whats out there, and over-population is something else that will be delt with too... But the thing is things get solved, and worrying about global resource depletion trends vs global population trends is not one of them that is grade A urgent.... There are so many problems in the world, neglecting to help any of them really isn't going to help.