Turbo Core Not So Great?

I have some extra DDR3 laying around, but its only 4GB. Pair that with Doc's spare board and you'd be fine for a while imo.

Yeah but it also takes the upgrade cost from $190 to $300 or more. :unsure:

She's got a CPU from yuridude on the way to hold her over till we can get her something newer. :cheers:

Edited by Waco

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Doc, I would take that 1090T off your hands as well but I don't have much in the way of spare change for you. Unless you'd want to swap my 1075T for it, it has a lower stock clock than the 1090T but I don't know if her board would give you fits or not with the slower running chip.

Bosco just needs to hold another contest this weekend with the prize being a top tier AMD motherboard and DDR3 RAM.

Just out of curiosity, is there anyway to disable cores on the 1090? Maybe you could just make it a 4-core that doesn't need as much power and use it until you can afford a new motherboard.

Bosco just needs to hold another contest this weekend with the prize being a top tier AMD motherboard and DDR3 RAM.

Just out of curiosity, is there anyway to disable cores on the 1090? Maybe you could just make it a 4-core that doesn't need as much power and use it until you can afford a new motherboard.

Yeah, disabling cores is an option...but considering we can return the 1090T for free I don't think we're gonna keep it. She'll get to play with a new X3 720 soon and the X6 will undoubtedly be cheaper this fall when we could actually throw some money at a new mobo/RAM. :cheers:

I did finally figure out the turbo core thing - it wouldn't work with my board either (even though it's brand-freakin-new and AM3+). I just updated my BIOS with a new version released yesterday and now it works as expected. I doubt we'd see an update on her board for the same thing. HWMonitor didn't recognize the CPU in either board prior to the update...at least now it'll read what CPU it is.

Actually, now that I think about it, all of my 3DMark Vantage scores were invalid because of "unknown CPU"... :unsure:

3DMark didn't read the 1090T?

It reported it as a 1090T but it marked the result invalid when I uploaded it. I'll try it again just to see what it does. :cheers:

EDIT: Even with the BIOS update it gives me this:

Your result has the following problem(s) and will not be shown for example on leaderboards:: Processor is not recognized, Graphics driver is not approved. (What is this?)

The driver is 11.4 from AMD - not surprising that it's not WHQL yet. But the CPU? It's been out for quite a while...

EDIT2: ROFL!!! It lists the X6 as an Athlon 64! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3143749

Edited by Waco

Then I'd just need to win... lol. Haha.

I appreciate all the offers guys. I just got back from my last exam so WOOOOOOOOO SUMMMMMMER!!!!! lol. I think I'll probably wait until I'm making some money this summer and then get it when the prices drop a tiny bit. Ugh, I wish I could have it now, but computer hobby == $$$$ lol.

I was just saying this the other day. Why can't I be a paper plane enthusiast and buy $5 paper? oooo "expensive" hahaha

It reported it as a 1090T but it marked the result invalid when I uploaded it. I'll try it again just to see what it does. :cheers:

Weird, I usually only get an invalid result when it doesn't like a video driver. Then again I run beta drivers a lot. :lol:

I would be happy to trade you my 1075T for the 1090T, that way you'd at least have a hexa-core to keep you happy for a while. Just I don't know if another hexa would give you the same kind of fits.

Weird, I usually only get an invalid result when it doesn't like a video driver. Then again I run beta drivers a lot. :lol:

I would be happy to trade you my 1075T for the 1090T, that way you'd at least have a hexa-core to keep you happy for a while. Just I don't know if another hexa would give you the same kind of fits.

of COURSE you'd be happy to trade... But I can get a full refund, free shipping, no restocking -- $200 to spend later. That makes ME happy. haha.

of COURSE you'd be happy to trade... But I can get a full refund, free shipping, no restocking -- $200 to spend later. That makes ME happy. haha.

Hey, hexa for a hexa is fair. :P Mine overclocks pretty well too, don't know how much more of a benefit an unlocked chip would be when mine can hit 4GHz easily.

But, 200 bucks does go a long way.

Hey, hexa for a hexa is fair. :P Mine overclocks pretty well too, don't know how much more of a benefit an unlocked chip would be when mine can hit 4GHz easily.

But, 200 bucks does go a long way.

$200 goes a loooooong way. lol. I'll probably get the chance to update this summer. But until then, my beauty will be okay. haha. Just hard when you've already seen 4GHz and can't have it. lol