Cleaning a car hood [noob] ><

Munkypoo7

Well I know that when I clean my car it doesn't cost me more than $1 per wash.

People are too obsessed with how their cars look IMHO.

While I agree with you.... it's a pride thing. I'm not heavy into cars [obviously rofl] as many others, but I like my car looking good. Both the interior and exterior :happy:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I know that when I clean my car it doesn't cost me more than $1 per wash.

:lol: With water, soap, and wax I doubt I use much more than that either. I take pride in keeping the paint in good condition on my cars. :cheers:

Even if you don't really care how your car looks to yourself or others............................. keeping both the interior and exterior clean and well maintained can do wonders for the re-sale or trade-in value of the vehicle. So even if you don't occasionally wash or wax for appearance, do it to protect your investment :)

the BEST I've ever used was Autoglym super radiant wax. This stuff smells good enough to eat too! It is a cream based wax that will remove stains, swirls, dirt, other wax ect. all in one. It also leaves an incredible shine and is very easy to work with. As with any creme based wax mist the surface with water before you begin.

Hey Crash. I live in the U.S. so finding an outlet for the Autoglym I had to go to Amazon. I can't find the exact product that you mentioned above. Here's a link and I'd appreciate it if you'd point us to the exact product you're recommending.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=autoglym&tag=googhydr-20&index=automotive&hvadid=4425516085&ref=pd_sl_91arrvfa9d_b

Thanks.

Wev

wevvspot you're right about the technique you are using and the frequency of the waxing. I know for a fact the damage that can be done to black cars. Once, I scratched up a Black Bentley by using a microfiber towel that had some crap on it. Some paints are just very finicky. It really depends on the color. A lot of the new cars today use multiple layers of paint and kind of a sparklish tone, and this really help disguise irregularities in the finish. Anyways, using an orbital buffer can really make your car look good. If you keep the speeds below 1100rpm, so the paint doesn't get hot, you don't have to worry about swirls. Compounding can bring a paint back to life. Followed by a coat of wax it will really shine. This is just my experience, but yes my car is swirled to hell from practice.

Edited by combssm

IN specificity to the dish wash soap topic. You could use a wash and wax product that has Carnuaba in it to wash your car. It's like why not use the product designed for the purpose. You get a lot more out of your wash at the same time. I'd guess that a gentle dish soap still takes life off the paint for someone who is just washing the car. I can just hear the paint saying "No, don't eat away at me, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaseeeee." haha

I'd guess that a gentle dish soap still takes life off the paint for someone who is just washing the car. I can just hear the paint saying "No, don't eat away at me, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaseeeee." haha

Why would you think that dish soap takes away life from the paint? :dunno: It just strips the wax off...nothing more.

IN specificity to the dish wash soap topic. You could use a wash and wax product that has Carnuaba in it to wash your car. It's like why not use the product designed for the purpose. You get a lot more out of your wash at the same time. I'd guess that a gentle dish soap still takes life off the paint for someone who is just washing the car. I can just hear the paint saying "No, don't eat away at me, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaseeeee." haha

How does dish soap destroy paint? I wash our cars with cascade dishwasher detergent and hot water followed by waxing(when i have wax.....). Have done for countless years. Still look great. I think the only way you could ruin the paint using dish soap is if you scrubbed excessively or used an abrasive rag.

Turtle wax FTW.

Also, there's no way dish-soap could do any damage unless it's going to affect the clear-coat. And even then, you have like 7 or 8 layers of clear coat on your car before there could be any damage to the underlying paint.

Even if you washed your car once weekly with dish soap and didn't wax it afterwards, it'd take a year of bad abuse before the clear coat would get completely destroyed. (And you'd be able to see the "cancer spots" quite clearly)

Edited by Locutus

Even if you washed your car once weekly with dish soap and didn't wax it afterwards, it'd take a year of bad abuse before the clear coat would get completely destroyed. (And you'd be able to see the "cancer spots" quite clearly)

I'd attribute that kind of damage to simple exposure, not the soap. No paint will last without some sort of protection.