Is socket 478 compatible with any other sockets (for HSF)?

rivercat

I have a socket 478 mobo from MSI.

I'm looking for a super-large HSF to fit it.

After removing the plastic retention-bracket,

are the remaining 4 holes the same distances as any other sockets?

I know my pc is old, but I love it.

Back when I had stuff of that generation, I used a thermalright HS with a tornado as the fan. This was on an athlonXP rig, but most coolers from around that time had adapters if I remember correctly...I would check ebay though. Probably lots of stuff on there lol

Scythe Kama Angle II Rev B , ZALMAN cnp S7500-CU LED . ZALMAN CNP S700B , ZALMAN FATALITY FS-C77 , SUNBEAM TUNIQ T-120 [LED, EXTREME LED]

Bought a used Thermaltake Big Typhoon CL-PO 114 [ for my Athlon XP 3200+] , Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B , Scythe Katana 3

The Big Typhoon is large (140 cm fan) and heavy, be sure it includes 478 mounts if you find one.

Sunbeam Tuniq is probably best if ypu have height.

lots more, lol

Edited by ohldboy

Scythe Kama Angle II Rev B , ZALMAN cnp S7500-CU LED . ZALMAN CNP S700B , ZALMAN FATALITY FS-C77 , SUNBEAM TUNIQ T-120 [LED, EXTREME LED]

Bought a used Thermaltake Big Typhoon CL-PO 114 [ for my Athlon XP 3200+] , Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B , Scythe Katana 3

What is that a list of? Do they all work with socket 478?

Thanks

Yes they all work on socket 478. The Scythe Mugen and the Sunbeam Tuniq t-120 are good by modern standards.

The Scythe Ninja 2 is very good , the Scythe Katana. fair. There are many others.

Edited by ohldboy

Since you want a large top performing cooler the Scythe Mugen may be best, was THE top rated cooler. List $58 on the Scythe website.

Sunbeam Tuniq T-120 check compatability, may need older one.

The Scythe Ninja Plus or Ninja Plus Rev 2 are lesser.

No current Thermalright or large Thermaltake found.

Zalman available, not sure of the best.

Many reviews available.

Back to the original question,

are the socket 478 mobo holes identical to any other sockets?

I read that the socket 775, 1156, 1366 mounting holes are spaced 72mm, 75mm and 80mm respectively.

Can someone confirm?

I prefer a backing-plate with 4 bolts rather than a "clip-to-the-bracket" style mounting.

I've looked all over the net and s478 HSFs are almost gone.

Scythe Mugen SCMG-2100 NEWEGG 39.99 +2.99 SHIPPING. ; AMAZON 46.79 ; eBAY at least 12 new from 41.65 ; Frozencpu ....

Sunbeam / Tuniq Tower 120 AMAZON one left 35.99 or so ; newegg 36.99 ..

Look finding a GOOD cooler for a 462 Athlon XP 3200+ was a pain, I'd still like something better than the Big Typhoon, might go Zalman but reviews were not crazy about mounts on Socket A

Not spaming just answering a question I hope. Moderator please remove and tell if over the line , Just so easy..

Edited by ohldboy