Noob needs help

LT8239

Hey guys i was just wondering if i could get a little help if possible to OC my C2Q Q8300 as it is stock at the moment at 2.5ghz with a locked multi. of 7.5x i had it at one point of 3.4ghz but i was constitantly getting a blue screen if you cant my sig. my specs are

eVGA 780i, Q8300, Cooler Master 212+ push pull, 2x2gb of OCZ Sli DDR2 800mhz, 2x eVGA GTX 460 EE SC overclocked to FTW 850/1700/4000 in SLi, Corsair GS700, WD 500gb Black, HAF 922. now the reason i ask is cause could not for the life of me get it stable at really any speed over 3.0ghz your help would be aprricated.

Edited by LT8239

when I ran it at 3.4 i set the memory to unlinked and it would always seem to drop from 800 to 794mhz.

Also I should note that with this Mb and Mem. configuratuion its supposed to auto OC to 1200mhz.

Is there a program that could see if it is doing what it supposed to?

Edited by LT8239

try it again except link the memory and lower the memory divider until the memory speed is 800mhz or less.

If it bluescreens again, remember the code it displays and tell it to us

Ok I will try that and see what happends, but you will hae to wait untill prob. late tomorrow or mid tuesday for a report as to what it is.

As I work tomorow and I wont be able to do anything untill the night.

So when I set the memory to Linked the computer will not even past post at 1:1, 5:4, 3:2 it just resets it self.

If I leave it unlinked I can manualy set the memory lower as of this post its at 705mhz. with a FBS of 1814mhz (454 x 7.5) = 3.4ghz

*edit* I dont know if this can help but running Prime95 torture blend test fails on Worker #1 and Worker #4 almost immedtiatly

Edited by LT8239

Well since my last post ive droped the CPU to 3.3ghz as and memory back to 800mhz as it would just keep failing.

To answer your question Razorback. I set the Core Voltage to I belive 1.32v im a little unshure if its too high but it appers

my board suffers from V-drp. as of this post im running prime 95 and Cpu-Z and according to Cpu-Z on full tilt its at 1.264V

and NB voltage I belive I left it on auto.

You probably need a bit more vcore and MCH voltage to run those speeds. Keep the CPU under 1.4 volts (watch your temps!) and don't go much over +.1 volt on the MCH.

Yep, once you start pushing the FSB usually you have to bump up the northbridge voltage for stability. (Note: In your BIOS the northbridge voltage is referred to as "SPP"). The Auto setting default SPP voltage is 1.20v and you can change in increments of .1v - I'm comfortable up to 1.4v without any special cooling considerations. But you should start with SPP set at 1.3v and see how that goes first. I'm with Waco on cpu voltage. If cooling is adequate then 1.4v is safe for 24/7 operation.

Also, disable all spread spectrum features and disable all thermal throttling features. In your BIOS - CPU Thermal Control = disabled.

Also, disable all spread spectrum features and disable all thermal throttling features. In your BIOS - CPU Thermal Control = disabled.

Agreed on the spread spectrum features but I generally leave all the thermal throttling and speedstep stuff enabled. No reason to leave the CPU running at full speed when doing nothing. It generally only hurts stability when you're pushing for that bleeding-edge overclock that's just *barely* stable. :P