Halo 2 start up Problem Xp

sully990

Hi Lads i recently installed win xp on a new sector just to play this game i really love it..

i tryed running it on win7 but no luck ...

basically i hit run and it loads to the halo2 screen for like 5 seconds then it just comes back to desktop and halo shuts down ..

now i did download this of a file sharing network ,,i scanned and everything is safe

can any1 help ??

Would A game fix help ?

Also there is a batch file i think it was written just so the game will work ...

this is it ...

( @echo off

cls

title HALO 2

cls

Loader.exe halo2.exe

cls

echo )

Please help i truly love this game lol

thanks guys ill try to answer your questions in forms to !

Edited by sully990

Halo 2 for PC was purposely prevented from running on XP, despite running DX9, to promote Vista sales. Everybody claimed(s) that there were fixes or workarounds, but I was never able to get any of them to work.

BUT

now i did download this of a file sharing network ,,i scanned and everything is safe

That's against the forum rules. Buy it! It should only be $10 now... That also might be why your loader isn't working.

• 4 weeks later...

I know how to fix the Windows 7 problem. I run Windows 7 myself and I have found a more permanent work around with a little help from Windows Live Support.

He sent me an email which I will post below for you to see. (This is how I got mine to work and it has done the job repeatedly).

1. Click the start

2. Type cmd.exe, but DO NOT press enter

3. Right-click the cmd.exe entry, choose run as administrator, confirm the uac prompt

4. When the console opens type net stop cryptsvc, press enter, wait for confirmation

5. Type cd \windows\system32 press enter

6. Type cd \windows\system32\CatRoot\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE} press enter

7. Type del kb*.cat press enter, confirm

8. Type del tmp*.cat press enter, confirm

9. Type cd \windows\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}

10. Repeat steps 7 and 8

11. Type cd \windows\inf press enter

12. Type del oem*.* press enter, confirm

13. Type cd \windows\system32 press enter

14. Type ren catroot2 cr2old press enter, confirm

15. Type net start cryptsvc press enter, wait for confirmation restart the system

16. Launch halo 2

17. If the game crashes with the same error, repeat steps 1 to 4

I hope this helps.

And Halo 2 for Windows Vista will not run on Windows XP, and unfortunately, that cannot be changed.

Edited by ThomasD