Overclocking 2500k on ASUS P8P67 PRO

And everyone says that socket 1355 is plug n play overclocking straight to 4.8Ghz without much tweaking :)

Brut - are you glad you got the 2500K instead of the 2600K?

Socket 1355?

Just for comparison:

i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 7.28 points

1090T @ 4.2GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 7.35 points

i7 950 @ 4.37GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 7.38 points

i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 7.45 points

i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 8.72 points

i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 8.91 points

i7 2600k @ 4.7GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 9.02 points

i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 9.29 points

As far as gaming, the i5 2500k is quite awesome (even for other CPU tasks, it compares quite well to the previous generation), but the 2600k has it's advantages. :P

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And everyone says that socket 1355 is plug n play overclocking straight to 4.8Ghz without much tweaking :)

Well seeing that the 2500k performs better in games (at stock though), yeah I'm happy I chose it over the 2600k.

What I am most glad about is that I got Sandy Bridge now.. I mean for Gods sake.. I cannot believe I'm staring at a 4.8GHz (if not more) processor.. It's like a wet dream come true haha

You've got a gem of a CPU, too. The i5 2500K I got for my brother got to 4.6GHz within topping out at 1.352V's in CPU-Z. Yours tops out at less volts and goes up to 4.8Ghz? That's incredible.

You've got a gem of a CPU, too. The i5 2500K I got for my brother got to 4.6GHz within topping out at 1.352V's in CPU-Z. Yours tops out at less volts and goes up to 4.8Ghz? That's incredible.

Yeah I can't believe it.. I got it up to 4.6 or 4.7 (can't remember exactly) with 1.275 vCore, and I was like.. Am I not supposed to raise vCore in this chip??? lol

hi tere i got a 2500k and a p8p67pro. I wanted to oc too~ and after seeing your thread, i was wondering do i follow the tweaks you made? or it depends? wat would be the safest tweak to ensure a stable system? :wave: can u post your tweaks after you have finalised it?~ i am really interested in seeing it~

Edited by farc

hi tere i got a 2500k and a p8p67pro. I wanted to oc too~ and after seeing your thread, i was wondering do i follow the tweaks you made? or it depends? wat would be the safest tweak to ensure a stable system? :wave: can u post your tweaks after you have finalised it?~ i am really interested in seeing it~

To start with you could try:

Ai Overclock Tuner: X.M.P. (for the dimms to have optimal timings and speed)

BCLK: 100

Turbo Ratio: By Per Core

Core Ratio Limit: 40

Internal PLL Overvoltage: Enabled

Memory Frequency: Whatever X.M.P. defines

EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled

Let X.M.P. handle timings

Load-line Calibration: Ultra-high

VRM Frequency: Manual

VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350

Phase Control: Extreme

Duty Control: T.Probe if you've got low airflow or a water-cooled system. If you've got a high airflow case go for Extreme.

CPU Current Capability: 110%

CPU Voltage: 1.12

DRAM Voltage: Let X.M.P. handle it.

VCCSA Voltage: Auto

VCCIO Voltage: Auto

CPU PLL Voltage: Auto

PCH Voltage: Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

If you haven't got X.M.P. RAM just put the speed, timings and voltage yourself (according to specifications though!)

And from there on just standard overclocking; raise ratio limits, prime95 for 30 mins, rasie ratio limits... untill you get BSODs, freezes etc., then raise vCore (CPU Voltage)

If you wanna be on the safe side, don't let vCore exceed 1.35V (Beware; check with CPU-z, you cannot be 100% if what you put in BIOS is correct, for example at me, if I put 1.335 in BIOS, it turned out it was actually doing up to 1.344 (according to CPU-Z), so that was my cap)

As a final note; WATCH TEMPS - If you wanna be on the safe side, don't let them go beyond 65*C.

Once you have found your max frequency, you wanna see how low a vCore you can get to make your system last longer ;)

If you have more questions just ask :)

Edited by Brutality

And everyone says that socket 1155 is plug n play overclocking straight to 4.8Ghz without much tweaking :)

Wow, nice job! This looks very promising for me! I just got mine today and have it at 4.3GHz. I'm hoping to get around 4.8GHz relatively soon. :)

wow you know what brutality? thankyou so much , i really learned a lot from your post, i will try to o/c just like you taught me. once again, ty for your help, will definitely have more questions. thx 4 everything~

Brut, playing around this weekend, putting Internal PLL Overvoltage to Auto is best. I experience no BSOD's during idle from it... at least at 4.5GHz. Load Line Calibration at Ultra High is best, it keeps it within .08v from the BIOS CPU Voltage. I haven't had issues with CPU Current Capability at 100%.

Np farc, I'm glad I could help =)

Brut, playing around this weekend, putting Internal PLL Overvoltage to Auto is best. I experience no BSOD's during idle from it... at least at 4.5GHz. Load Line Calibration at Ultra High is best, it keeps it within .08v from the BIOS CPU Voltage. I haven't had issues with CPU Current Capability at 100%.

Okay, I've only got 0x00000124 BSODs, so my only problem is too little vCore :P

But I couldn't get it stable at 4.8GHz with less than 1.35 vCore, so I am getting it stable, with as low a vCore as possible at 4.7GHz (seems to be stable at 1.3, but wanna have it stable for 12h p95 :P)

I will post my BIOS settings once I am done and happy with my OC :)

Cheers!

Socket 1355?

Just for comparison:

i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 7.28 points

1090T @ 4.2GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 7.35 points

i7 950 @ 4.37GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 7.38 points

i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 8.72 points

i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 8.91 points

i7 2600k @ 4.7GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 9.02 points

i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 9.29 points

As far as gaming, the i5 2500k is quite awesome (even for other CPU tasks, it compares quite well to the previous generation), but the 2600k has it's advantages. :P

You can add this to your list =)

i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz Cinebench 11.5 = 7.45 points

Tell me if you want pics or some proof other than my words, hehe