Overclocking 2500k on ASUS P8P67 PRO

What I did:

Based on the these guides,

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/1

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/913294-step-step-overclocking-2500k-lamas.html

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

I set an initial BIOS setup to:

Ai Overclock Tuner: X.M.P. (for the dimms to have optimal timings and speed)

BCLK: 100 (I read somewhere: "DON'T TOUCH" ^^)

Turbo Ratio: By Per Core (according to hardforum)

Core Ratio Limit: 40 (according to clunk.org)

Internal PLL Overvoltage: Auto (I know some say enabled, but I'm afraid it will overvolt the pll too much)

Memory Frequency: DDR3-2133MHz (according to X.M.P.)

EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled

I didn't change anything in DRAM Timing Control, because I assume X.M.P. handled that :)

Load-line Calibration: Auto (I know hardforum says go with it, but since bit-tech said "the downside is an increased likelihood of a bit of voltage overshoot and greater temperatures.", I left it on Auto)

VRM Frequency: Manual (according to hardforum)

VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350 (according to hardforum)

Phase Control: Extreme (according to hardforum)

Duty Control: Extreme (according to hardforum)

CPU Current Capability: 110% (according to bit-tech)

CPU Voltage: 1.12 (according to clunk.org)

DRAM Voltage: 1.65 (according to X.M.P.)

VCCSA Voltage: Auto

VCCIO Voltage: 1.0 (according to clunk.org)

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.8125 (according to bit-tech)

PCH Voltage: Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled (according to clunk.org)

The rest is stock, and what I've been doing is simply increased the ratio limit, and when getting BSODs just increase CPU Voltage, and then when I got to 48 (i.e. 4.8GHz) I got it 30min stable at 1.335 (CPU-Z says 1.344 though) vCore, but when I put it to 49, I got BSODs. So why not just increase vCore? Well this guy at av-sim said (link below): "I will not recommend or run my own equipment (I am a chicken and cannot afford to be wrong)past 1.35v or 68c on temp"

av-sim guy:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/330907-i5-2500k-max-cpu-volt/

Now as you can see what I did was basically take the safest settings from all these sites and try to get the best out of it. What I was most afraid of was overvoltage and destroying my hardware xD

BTW temps are not a problem, I was getting 60*C at 4.8GHz with 1.335 vCore (1.344 according to CPU-Z).

But now I can ask you guys what to do next, because I am willing to go further, as long as it's safe;

Can I change some settings and be able to get 4.9GHz while still being on the safe side? (I bet I can, because I have most likely been way too far on the safe side :P)

What do you guys think?

Specs are in signature :)

Cheers Brutality :D

PS. I trust you guys more here at OCC than any of the guides, and i just felt that there was something unsafe in each guide (hence the safe-mix)

Edited by Brutality

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Click on a link in my sig if you want to see some comparisons. I left my brother's i5 2500k at 4.6GHz, I wanted to keep the voltages low, even though the cooling could probably handle 4.8GHz.

Click on a link in my sig if you want to see some comparisons. I left my brother's i5 2500k at 4.6GHz, I wanted to keep the voltages low, even though the cooling could probably handle 4.8GHz.

So

Internal PLL Overvoltage = Enabled

LLC = Ultra High

is perfectly safe?

What do you think about vCore?

Should I just follow hwbots guide fully?

I trust you alot El-Capitan :)

Cheers Brutality

EDIT:

So this will be the BIOS setup?

BCLK: 100

Turbo Ratio: By Per Core

Core Ratio Limit: 48+

Internal PLL Overvoltage: Enabled

I didn't change anything in DRAM Timing Control, because I assume X.M.P. handled that :)

Load-line Calibration: Ultra-high

VRM Frequency: Manual

VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350

Phase Control: Extreme

Duty Control: Extreme

CPU Current Capability: 100% (or should I got with 110% according to bit-tech?)

CPU Voltage: 1.335 (or more?)

DRAM Voltage: 1.65 (according to X.M.P.)

VCCIO Voltage: Auto

CPU PLL Voltage: Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Edited by Brutality

So

Internal PLL Overvoltage = Enabled

LLC = Ultra High

is perfectly safe?

What do you think about vCore?

Should I just follow hwbots guide fully?

I trust you alot El-Capitan :)

Cheers Brutality

I read quite a bit of threads as well. LLC can be Ultra High or Extreme, but Extreme gave me more issues (although I was trying other things, too), so I kept it at Ultra High. Some people even have it at Regular.

Internal PLL Overvoltage usually should be enabled until trying to go past 4.8GHz. I've never attempted going higher than that, so I've only tested it with it being Enabled.

I follow three rules of overclocking the SandyBridge CPU's:

1. Keep the temps below 72.6C and current below 1.35V. Both are Intel's recommended specs.

2. Keep the temps below 72.6C and current below 1.38V. Intel's max temp recommendation, and some other overclocking guide (I forget which).

3. Just keep the temps below 72.6C.

Temps are always more harmful, and there's still no definitive data yet on just high voltages degrading the CPU.

Basically, if you want to be super safe, #1, otherwise you're taking some chance one way or another.

Also, while I had no problems with 1.65V DRAM, intel's recommendation is to not have it run higher than 1.55V max (or around that much).

Bit-Tech tends to set overclock settings at the highest alllowed specs and overclock to the max from there. That's one way. I'm on the other side of the fence, setting them at the most minimal allowed and increasing from there.

Bit-Tech tends to set overclock settings at the highest alllowed specs and overclock to the max from there. That's one way. I'm on the other side of the fence, setting them at the most minimal allowed and increasing from there.

Yeah me2 :)

Thanks mate, I will try out hardforum's method after I've got some dinner, I'm starving lol, I've been all around my pc since I got my 2500k hehe

EDIT:

But according to hardforum, PLL overvolting is best when going 4.8GHz+ ??

"Depending on what your retail CPU is capable of ( which Auto Tuning should provide you an idea of ) Enable this option! This option is specifically designed for D2/Retail Parts and allowing for higher multi overclocks especially when at or exceeding 48x."

Edited by Brutality

PLL Overvolting is usually disabled for D1 parts (I think), but for D2/Retail parts, it should be enabled. I read so many forums and reviews, I get mixed up. I'll probably check up on it some more later.

PLL Overvolting is usually disabled for D1 parts (I think), but for D2/Retail parts, it should be enabled. I read so many forums and reviews, I get mixed up. I'll probably check up on it some more later.

Hehe np mate :P

So how does this sound?

BCLK: 100

Turbo Ratio: By Per Core

Core Ratio Limit: 48+

Internal PLL Overvoltage: Enabled

Load-line Calibration: Ultra-high

VRM Frequency: Manual

VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350

Phase Control: Extreme

Duty Control: Extreme

CPU Current Capability: 100% (or should I got with 110% according to bit-tech?)

CPU Voltage: MAX 1.35

DRAM Voltage: 1.65 (according to X.M.P., and http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265735)

VCCIO Voltage: Auto

CPU PLL Voltage: Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Edited by Brutality

It's worth trying out, but what you had in your OP was good as far as temps and voltages, I wouldn't really change it from that if your setup is stable.

Okay, but what do you think about CPU Current Capability? 100 or 110%? :P

Lol, see how it works at 100%, if there's no issues, then your'e good. If there's issues, then back to 110%.

My advice, since you have a good set-up already, is to change one thing and re-run your stress tests. If it's good, then move on to the next item and change it.