Possible Watercooling!

So, im highly interested in possibly getting a fancy watercooling setup! For now im only interested in CPU cooling, as i really have no desire to buy expensive full cover blocks for GPU's nor do i really feel like using a universal block along with ramsinks either, seems like too much work for something i dont even understand yet. But ill definitely consider putting my video cards under water if this little project of mine here turns out well. I have a general idea of what i want for the basic pump/rad/cpu block/res, what really confuses me and has me lost, is what else do i need besides the components to make this work? I know i need tubing, but what are all these barbs and fittings about??

Here is the stuff im considering so far:

Pump - Swiftech MCP655 Pump: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108082

Res - Swiftech MCRES Micro Res Rev.2: http://www.swiftech.com/mcresmicrorev2reservoir.aspx

CPU Block - Swiftech Apogee XT Rev.2: http://www.swiftech.com/apogeext.aspx#tab1

Rad - Swiftech MCR-220-QP: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108086

Now, i havent had much luck looking for well rated 140.2 rads, And this is a big thing for me, as my case has two top 140mm fans. It also has two rear 120mm fans, but i believe a rad would get in the way of my video card if placed there. There is also no additional mounts for 120mm fans on the top, only 140mm, there is a bunch of mesh there so i wouldnt be able to drill new holes either. If i HAAAD to, id be wouldnt be against getting a more water friendly case, but im sure there is 140mm rads out there that arent crap.

What throws me is all the additional accessories! My favorite color is orange, so id be interested in orange tubing, or even better UV orange tubing, but id rather not using UV fluid as i know this can cause issues in the long run with water cooling systems. What im asking is for suggestions/tips on all the other accessories required as im not even sure what else is needed besides the tubes but i know alot more is required.

Thanks in Advance!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What throws me is all the additional accessories! My favorite color is orange, so id be interested in orange tubing, or even better UV orange tubing, but id rather not using UV fluid as i know this can cause issues in the long run with water cooling systems. What im asking is for suggestions/tips on all the other accessories required as im not even sure what else is needed besides the tubes but i know alot more is required.

Well FrozenCPU has this awesome tubing: ORANGE UV --EDIT: just realized this is 3/8"... my bad. Seems harder to find in 1/2" than I thought. Heres another link: shipping might be a little more but it is really 1/2" orange UV FOR REAL

It's orange and UV at the same time. A bit expensive yes, but it is exactly what you are looking for and you don't have to use the UV fluid.

I currently have clear cheap tubing from Lowes in my case. The clear works well if you already have a lot of lighting in your case.

I'm looking forward to seeing some awesome pictures from this! :D

Edited by BluePanda

Well you'll need barbs for everything (though I think your cpu block and reservoir come with a couple and the pump has 1/2" barbs built-in). My Swiftech MCR-320QP didn't come with any barbs, not sure if that's normal though. Standard 1/2" (tubing inside diameter) G1/4" (the fitting size) barbs will work though. Any 1/2" inside diameter tubing will work with the pump. Definitely use clamps on your barbs! You can either buy worm-drive stainless steel clamps from your local hardware store or something like these: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c289/s723/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Tubing_Accessories-Reusable_Clamps_-_34_OD-Page1.html or these: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c289/s722/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Tubing_Accessories-Reusable_Clamps_-_58_OD-Page1.html depending on the outside diameter of your tubing. I use a combination of the two - on my tubes that have more stress on them I use the worm-drive clamps, on the less stressed connections I use the $.99 clamps the 3/4" OD page (obviously I have 3/4" OD tubing).

If you can't find 1/2" ID tubing in your color you could always get black tubing and use UV orange anti-kink coils (which are awesome when using larger diameter tubing).

140.2 rads are a bit hard to find for decent prices. What case do you have?

Edited by Waco

Thanks for the fast responses guys!! I have a Antec DF-85 case. Its a really nice case, but after spending quite a bit of time doing research on water cooling today, im coming to realize its not a very water friendly case. I definitely never planned on doing water cooling when i built my computer last year. The case does have AMAZING temps though, good design for airflow. Either with air cooling ive gotten my i7 to 4.5Ghz(with unreasonable temps) pretty easily, i feel like with better cooling i could push it even more! And safely at that too.

Seems like that Orange UV tubing from an UK site would be really expensive to ship to me in the states? But it is EXACTLY what i was looking for! Ill have to see if i cant find the same tubing closer to home.

Mercury have you looked at dangerdens Black Ice GTX280 - Xtreme or as most like to put it 140.2 rads. i have 2 of there gtx480 (120.4) rads they keep my system nice and cool

Mercury have you looked at dangerdens Black Ice GTX280 - Xtreme or as most like to put it 140.2 rads. i have 2 of there gtx480 (120.4) rads they keep my system nice and cool

Yes i just found them a few minutes ago! There is two different one's only difference i can tell is one is thicker and more expensive.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9016/ex-rad-157/Black_Ice_GT_Xtreme_280_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s930

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9013/ex-rad-154/Black_Ice_GT_Stealth_280_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s930

Aside from price, is there any reason to get one other the other??

I think water cooling can be done in almost any case. The radiator size can make the difference in a small case. But even in my old Tuniq 3 case I was able to run water cooling in such a small area. Admittingly I only had a small radiator (from the COOLIT system) but it worked. My temp drops between that and a half way decent air cooler were more than significant. I say it's well worth starting somewhere even if you aren't thrilled at working out the layout in your case. :biggrin:

Yes i just found them a few minutes ago! There is two different one's only difference i can tell is one is thicker and more expensive.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9016/ex-rad-157/Black_Ice_GT_Xtreme_280_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s930

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9013/ex-rad-154/Black_Ice_GT_Stealth_280_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s930

Aside from price, is there any reason to get one other the other??

The stealth has 30 fins per inch versus the Xtreme's 20 fins per inch. The lower the FPI the lower-speed fan you can use and still cool adequately. Higher FPI radiators are intended for use with high speed, high pressure fans and don't work well with slow fans. I used to run a Black Ice Pro II with a high FPI count and it didn't do well with even moderate speed fans.

IMHO the difference between the MCR-220 and the GT Xtreme 280 isn't worth $80. I'm fairly sure after looking at pictures that you'd be able to fit a 120.2 inside the case on the back (I'd be surprised if one didn't fit). If not, you could always mount it externally on the same mounts and keep the two interior 140 mm fans up top. IIRC there are openings to bring the tubes in from the back as well if you have to go that route.

I think water cooling can be done in almost any case. The radiator size can make the difference in a small case. But even in my old Tuniq 3 case I was able to run water cooling in such a small area. Admittingly I only had a small radiator (from the COOLIT system) but it worked. My temp drops between that and a half way decent air cooler were more than significant. I say it's well worth starting somewhere even if you aren't thrilled at working out the layout in your case. :biggrin:

Oh it can be done in pretty much any case no doubt. But id prefer if it was mounted on the inside top of the case as there is a TOOOOON of room between the top and my mobo. What was done to your CoolIT system? Add a separate res or something? How well does that work?

The stealth has 30 fins per inch versus the Xtreme's 20 fins per inch. The lower the FPI the lower-speed fan you can use and still cool adequately. Higher FPI radiators are intended for use with high speed, high pressure fans and don't work well with slow fans. I used to run a Black Ice Pro II with a high FPI count and it didn't do well with even moderate speed fans.

IMHO the difference between the MCR-220 and the GT Xtreme 280 isn't worth $80. I'm fairly sure after looking at pictures that you'd be able to fit a 120.2 inside the case on the back (I'd be surprised if one didn't fit). If not, you could always mount it externally on the same mounts and keep the two interior 140 mm fans up top. IIRC there are openings to bring the tubes in from the back as well if you have to go that route.

AH ok i was just looking to see if i wanted to use quiet fans if i needed more FPI or less. This answers alot! There is a TON of space between the top of my case and where my MoBo is. So putting it up top would be best as there so plenty of room for all of this stuff. I really think i could fit a 120.2 rad on the back in the inside(I really wanna keep all of this on the inside) but it would require removing one of the 140mm top fans. I guess i wouldnt the fan if my CPU is water cooled and i no longer need that exhaust fan to pull the super hot air off my heatsink.

Edit: Just checked clearance's. Doesnt look like there is enough room for a 120.2 Rad on the back, the rad itself would fit, but there just isnt enough room at the top for the inlet/outlet!

on one of my first setups i ran a 120.1 stealth then switched over to a extreme with 1 ultra kaze fan pulling air through it and the extreme cooled a little better then the stealth, only by 3-4c better. they both do their job if you use the right fans for it. the stealth is nice if you run a push/pull just because the stack is so thin. right now with my push/pull setup on the 120.4 its just over 5" thick but with a stealth it would be almost an inch less. i bought the case i have now knowing that i was putting watercooling in it and with that knew i was getting as big of rads as i could.

Edit: Just checked clearance's. Doesnt look like there is enough room for a 120.2 Rad on the back, the rad itself would fit, but there just isnt enough room at the top for the inlet/outlet!

Couldn't you orient it with the inlet/outlet at the bottom? Or is there not enough room for that either?

Worst case you could get some 140mm to 120mm adapters to mount it up top. :)

Oh it can be done in pretty much any case no doubt. But id prefer if it was mounted on the inside top of the case as there is a TOOOOON of room between the top and my mobo. What was done to your CoolIT system? Add a separate res or something? How well does that work?

After I had it less than a week we took off the original tubing that came on it and added a reservoir bay. The stock pump is still plenty to run my loop -- adding a video card block would probably push it a little too much though. It works GREAT! My idle temps are usually around 20C and I only max up at 40ish running my cores maxed out. I'm very impressed considering with a good air cooler I was sitting around mid 30s at idle. I think there are some pictures up somewhere on the forum. I'll find em for you.

Edit: Heres a shot before I got my 4870x2 OOOOO!

Edited by BluePanda