new internals - lost windows cd key

DoucheOS

upgraded to the 2600k + associated other parts(ram, mobo) to fire up a pc that had a recent mobo and cpu death thanks to lightning.

windows will not boot as the hardware has changed. I ca't find my case for my vista x64 disc(i know im a spaz for not keeping the disc with the case).

is there any way to get the cd key from the hard drive or a replacement key from microsoft as the product was registered with them in 2008?

Cheers.

upgraded to the 2600k + associated other parts(ram, mobo) to fire up a pc that had a recent mobo and cpu death thanks to lightning.

windows will not boot as the hardware has changed. I ca't find my case for my vista x64 disc(i know im a spaz for not keeping the disc with the case).

is there any way to get the cd key from the hard drive or a replacement key from microsoft as the product was registered with them in 2008?

Cheers.

When your registration attempt with the old number fails, just call MS and go through the automated phone system and you should get a new number.

When your registration attempt with the old number fails, just call MS and go through the automated phone system and you should get a new number.

^ +1

At worst case the automated phone system won't work for you and you have to talk to a real live person in India. After assuring them that you haven't installed this on a dozen machines they should give issue you a new key. The new key will only be good on the current machine you install it on.

Alternatively you can request that MS send you a new replacement disk. Last time I did that I think they got me for like $29 + shipping (and that was Windows 7)

You might wanna check this out.....http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

ive never actually used it but my friend swears by it.

wouldnt magic jelly bean require me to be able to get into windows with the current install that wont boot for it to work?

i'll try the support line and see what i get out of them.

thanks everyone.

Good luck and keep us posted. If you do have to talk to a live CS rep they are likely going to give you the 20 question run-around. But eventually you'll get a new activation code key.

Regards,

Cheers.

[/downlod magic jelly bean

Most information apps like Everest, Belarc, SIW, etc... will show the Windows activation code.

Excellent point Phil. I can't speak for the others you mentioned but I know for sure that Everest shows the "product key" under the tab "Operating System" > "operating system"