i7 950 ram controller

kowon

hi im building a new gaming rig and ive run into some confusion heres my problem with parts im going to be using

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/motherboards/intel1366x58chipsetmotherboards/asus/90-mibdk0-g0eay00z.html#sp2 is my mobo

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/processors/intelcorei71366socket/intel/bx80601950.html is my processor

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/memory-pc/ddr3-triplechannel/crucial/bl3kit25664tb1608.html ram x 12 gig

so heres my problem

i knwo the board will allow 1600 ram speed and the ram its self is fast and usually reliable from crucial however the ram controller of the i7 950 stock says 1333mz so my question is simply how would i go about increasing the ram controller to my rams stock 1600 speed ?

First off - welcome to OCC :)

kowon - there are a couple different ways of getting your RAM up to speed. One is to enter your BIOS and just enable the Intel XMP profile. That will make all the necessary adjustments for you.

Sometimes that doesn't work so well though and you end up having to set things up manually.

You would do this by;

Change bclk setting to 160

Change memory multiplier to x10 (or 1600Mhz)

Change cpu multiplier to 20

The above settings will yield;

CPU Frequency = 3.20Ghz

Memory Frequency = 1600Mhz

Make sure to manually set your four primary memory timings AND the mfg. specified DRAM voltage

Save changes and reboot. You're all set :)

if xmp mode doesnt work for you..

you should just be able to change the dram frequencey. i reset my 950 back to stock speeds and took a screenshot, its and asus board so im hoping the bios should be about the same

57e4e066.jpg

on mine if you go down to the dram frequencey and hit enter a window will pop up and give you ram mhz choices if not just use the - & + keys to adjust it

c865ced8.jpg

you should be able to just go start to 1600mhz without changing any setting to the cpu

then go down to ram timings and set all of your timings. you might have to up the dram voltage to 1.65v if the board doesnt to it for you

Good tips Olo - I forgot that the Asus Extreme Tweaker lets you choose actual DRAM frequencies based on the current FSB.

With everything at stock his bclk would be 133 Mhz and there is a workable memory multiplier that yields DDR3 1600 Mhz.

Thanks for the clarification.

if xmp mode doesnt work for you..

you should just be able to change the dram frequencey. i reset my 950 back to stock speeds and took a screenshot, its and asus board so im hoping the bios should be about the same

57e4e066.jpg

on mine if you go down to the dram frequencey and hit enter a window will pop up and give you ram mhz choices if not just use the - & + keys to adjust it

c865ced8.jpg

you should be able to just go start to 1600mhz without changing any setting to the cpu

then go down to ram timings and set all of your timings. you might have to up the dram voltage to 1.65v if the board doesnt to it for you

thanks for the welcome all and i dont want to sound to nooby but ive never overclocked anything :) im scared of burning it but this i will try if its needed apparantly it wont make much difference with 12g 6 slots filled even if they dont run 1600 so i was told if you could clarify this it would be great also when you say manually set the ram timings do you mean stock timings on ram and how would i do this im a little confused

also is there a program so when i actually plug the pc in for first time i can check the speed ram is running at so i know if a overclock is needed or not :) as they may already make the ram 1600 auto.

first off yes you can check this, download CPU-Z the first thing that will come up is all of your cpu settings. now i have my 950 set to my 24/7 overclock also you shouldnt have to worry about anything burning up, your leaving your cpu at stock settings and putting your ram to were is should be

89d6c8dc.jpg

the bottom left of the program will tell you the speed you cpu is running the multiplier and bus speed. now my bus speed is set to 185 in the bios so yours should say 133 if its set to stock

click on the tab that says memory and it will tell you what your timings are on your ram dont be alarmed at the dram frequency it will show half of what it is actually running. if yours is running right it should say 800. mine is showing 927.5 but is really running at 1854mhz since my cpu is overclocked.

now with that said your ram should be running at 8-8-8-24 and between 1.60v-1.65v now if they are not shown right in cpu-z reboot and go into the bios. arrow down to the dram frequence and make sure you are set to 1600mhz once you have this set keep moving down till you get to dram timing control

bc65d23d.jpg

hit enter to go into this screen. once in here it should look something like this

5457d431.jpg

your settings should read right down the line 8-8-8-24 if not you need to change them

example: it might say this (just using my numbers)

my #'s You should change them to this

7 auto 7 --> 8

9 auto 9 --> 8

7 auto 7 --> 8

24 auto 24 --> 24

5 auto do not change anything past this

88 auto

12 auto

8 auto

24 auto

0 auto

once you have checked/changed your timings hit excape to go back to the main screen. now scroll down till get down to the voltage settings your looking for the DRAM bus voltage

90dbbd23.jpg

since mine are overclocked i needed more voltage yours will be anywhere between 1.60 to 1.65v if its set to 1.60 and you start having problems with games and programs go back in to the bios and start uping the voltage but just a little at a time

while your downloading CPU-Z download Core Temp this will give you a temp reading of your cpu cores just make sure that you dont go over 80c on your cores.... you shouldnt have any problems since your keeping everthing stock but its always good to check your tems you might get the heatsink on wrong and to notice it

hope that helps you out

OLO - I'm way jealous of your DRAM frequency and timings. That is outstanding!

What did you have to set your QPI voltage to in order to achieve those speeds and tight timings?

Could you give me the exact part number of the Muskin RAM you're running? I need to look for some of that stuff.

the ram is Mushkin enhanced blackline pc3-12800 6-8-6-24 @ 1600mhz 1.65v ive hit these up in the 2100mhz range but the Qpi voltage starts going way up once i hit those speeds, normaly around 1.6v but they always keep a tight timing of 7-9-7-24 2t

i actually won a 6 gig set of these off of OCC's Mushkin 3dmark06 Challenge Contest last september and ended up getting another 6 gig set to match it. i bought a set of corsair 2000mhz ram a few mounths ago cause i was having trouble geting these to overclock till it updated the bios and found that the mushkin ram overclocked better then the corsair ram

thanks so much you were very very helpful ive never overclocked anything and you made that so easy to understand now i was wondering could you do the same for how to overclock my cpu :P sorry to be greedy but if you can explain so easy it something i think i would like to know :) and again thanks very much for all your help so far every 1 :)

New question im getting a aero touch 2000 fan cotroller that has no auto setting so fans must be controlled manually i will be getting the v8 cooler and the haf 932 stock cooling setup this should be enough as i was told is there a certain rpm i should set fans up so not to need to change them much ?

thanks so much you were very very helpful ive never overclocked anything and you made that so easy to understand now i was wondering could you do the same for how to overclock my cpu?

Change bclk setting to 160

Change dram frequency to 1600 Mhz

Change cpu multiplier to 23

Change cpu voltage from Auto to 1.250v

The above settings will yield;

CPU Frequency = 3.68 Ghz

Memory Frequency = 1600Mhz

Edited by wevsspot