over clocking my 955BE on new motherboard dont know where to start in

Good day guys and gals and thanks for stopping by my post first off let me say that i am a pretty new over clocker and really want to squeeze all that i can out my my system for the money i have paid.

let me get straight to the point, i used to be an asus mobo guy and i recently switched to a high end MSI board ( 890fxa-gd70) im unfamiliar with the bios and i am hoping you guys can help me with the learning curve. i really want to squeeze the most out of my cpu (amd 955 BE) and my ramm (mushkin 996805) . i love to tinker to achieve the best possible results.so patience is not an issue with me. please help me out on where to start with speeds and voltages so i can work my way up to achieve the best over clocks. thanks much all for you time will give updates as i go.

MOBO-MSI 890fxa-GD70

CPU-AMD 955 BE

GPU- asus 5850

RAM- mushkin 996905 6-8-6-24 1600

Edited by Mr.Niceguy

I'd set in your memory's speed and timings to their stock settings, and then run some tests (memtest86+ or maybe Prime95 in LargeFFT mode) and make sure all your sticks can run their rated speeds.

Then just start bumping up your main cpu multiplier while starting with a 1.30v or so vcore and see how far you can get with that.

When you get to windows, run a stress tester like Prime95 in blend mode for about an hour, if/when it goes unstable add more voltage, otherwise goto the next number multiplier. Keep the load temps under 62C (using a program like HWMonitor to check these).

Also have CPU-Z open to make sure all your settings were entered correctly.

Black edition chips are quite easy to OC. You'll probably get around a 4.0ghz overclock, more if you've a good chip.

What cooler do you have by the way?

Welcome to OCC!

I use the same motherboard with my 1090T, except I use PhenomMsrTweaker to disable my hardware CnQ. You don't have to worry about doing that with your 955BE, though. I'll post some screenshots in the BIOS when I have some time.

im actually building a second system with a 1090t and i will definantly want to over clock that. first off what the difference other than.1ghz between the 1100t and 1090t cpus?

ohhh an update i am currently at 3.7 ghz with multiplier at 17 nb at 218 to over clock the memory a bit as well. when over clocking memory what other voltages do i have to increase?

Edited by Mr.Niceguy

There's no difference between the 1100t and the 1090t except the stock speeds. It's like the difference between the 965BE and the 955BE.

You can probably get to 4.0GHz with the 955BE. If you're overclocking the memory, you'll want to increase your CPU-NB Voltage.

What overclock speeds are you trying to reach for your CPU and Memory?

well im defenatly just going to do the cpu now but i was thinking 1800 or 2000 oc for the ram

when i decide to tackle that

also what is the max voltage for my processor

Edited by Mr.Niceguy

yeah those sticks could probably do some crazy clocks like that. Honestly I've always had good luck with using as much voltage is it takes within the max temperature threshold. 1.45v seems to be a common max I've seen people use for a decent overclock of the Denebs and Thubans

so I'm at 61 degrees and at 1.486 v-core im affraid to go any further voltage wise whats the next step from here cause i want to make the 4.0 club

Edited by Mr.Niceguy