New Build, need opinions

Railz

Thanks paul.

However, with a CPU overclock, watercooling system and two 6970s in crossfire (flashed 6950s ~ same amount of power as 6970s I'm assuming) I would think his system would be able to hit 600-700w @ full load.

Since he said this build is mainly for gaming with room for upgrades, I assumed that he would be at high loads for most of the time hence the recommendation for a 1000w exactly for the reason of efficiency.

But I could be wrong my friend. :cheers:

Just in case you're unsure about what we are talking about Railz, power supplies generally run most efficiently when under 40-60% load, hence it would be ideal that you get a PSU which will run in that range for most of the time the computer is on. This is what Paul and I are discussing.

Edited by Alexandre

I've seen power consumption figures of around 550W from the wall for crossfired HD6970's and in one case that was on a i7-980X at 4.2GHz and thats only approximately 490W from the power supply.

I suppose it all depends on how long it's going to be before he flashes the HD6950, most people probably wouldn't, or goes crossfire and whether he does actually spend the majority of the time on his PC playing graphically demanding games?

If he wants a HX1000W then by all means go for it! ;)

i dont like the rosewill power supply...

the max 12V output is 900w(52A)...its sowhat wrong

I wouldnt go with a company couldnt get it own product info. right...

i suggest the new CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 can output 840w(70A)

or

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W can output 840w(70A)

they are about 130 after rebate!

I want to make sure I have what I need. I do plan on going eyefinity, and crossfire within one year. If I can get away with 850w that would be great. I just want to make sure I have room for upgrades.

After the comment about the WD Black Caviar I started looking at benchmarks. I was actually impressed with the black caviar compared to the velociraptors. Black Caviars are just a touch slower, not even enough to notice, power consumption is also only a touch higher, and noise on the velociraptor is a touch higher in the facotry case. Removing the case voids warranty, and only puts it one db below the black caviar. After seeing all of that I believe Black Caviar is the route I will be taking. Thank you.

Edited by Railz