Asus ROG Rampage 3 Formula

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have bad news for you Much....Asus is freaking awesome, but on the Rampage III series mobo's, they used some crap yellow thermal paste for the entire nb/sb heatsink. I have had to deal with this issue on 3 different Rampage III boards. You will need to completely remove the entire nb/sb heatsink. Once it is off you will see the yellow crap on both the chipsets and the underneath side of the heatsink. It is a freaking pain in the butt to clean this junk all off, but it is necessary! Once you have removed all of the yellow crap, re-apply a good thermal paste to the chipsets and re-seat the nb/sb heatsink. As soon as you do this your temps will drop drastically, and you will be good to go! Sucks, but it will completely take care of your temp problem!

^This.

Removing the yellow thermal glue is pretty hard. I recommend lapping it a bit, after you removed it. Also make sure the screws are nice and tight.

Def true! With the U2-UFO, I just never have to think about airflow anymore ;)

Mucho what case are you using right now?

i am using a corsair 600t. i taped a spare case fan to the top of my graphics card pointing at the heatsinks and it helped with temps alot (down to 50ish) but i still think thats too high, i am a real cooling freak.

i am using a corsair 600t. i taped a spare case fan to the top of my graphics card pointing at the heatsinks and it helped with temps alot (down to 50ish) but i still think thats too high, i am a real cooling freak.

I know it sux, but spend that time taking your mobo out and the nb/sb heatsink off! I am a cooling freak also, and the only way to get your temps in complete check is getting that yellow crap out of the equation :cheers:

I know it sux, but spend that time taking your mobo out and the nb/sb heatsink off! I am a cooling freak also, and the only way to get your temps in complete check is getting that yellow crap out of the equation :cheers:

the arctic silver 5 claims not to be an electrical conductor, will it be fine to use on the heatsinks?

You want something non conductive. The chipset is much thinner than the CPU so any excess TIM will run over the sides and make contact with the connections causing a problem.

I thought AS5 was capacitive not conductive...

can anyone give me a straight answer on the arctic silver 5?

Quoting from Arctic Silver 5 main site - www.arcticsilver.com/as5.html:

Not Electrically Conductive:

Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.

(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

Edited by Alexandre