supernoob needs help with first bios OC

just checked out your cpu cooler...WOW..that's looking like two of mine put together basically! gonna check out prices on that one.

also, this cpu cooler didn't say it was for socket layer amd3 either, but the salesd!ck said it was. it's setting left to right instead of up and down

I'd say go with a new cooler. A great budget cooler to keep in mind also is a Cooler Master Hyper 212+. I have two of these and they perform great! I'd like to hear what some others have to say though before you spend money on something IF you don't have to. Your case air flow sounds great though, I'm blaming the HSF. I'd also recommend the NH-D14, it's big and pricey, but I think it's worth it. It was also a breeze to install, and it feels very secure with their mounting system.

HUGE fan on top blowing out (200mm?), two fans in front pulling in, one on side pulling in, one on back blowing out (you want mm sizes?) good air flow, no obstructions...dont' know why. I think I hate this new cpu cooler. I reseated it 8 times today, and reapplied thermal paste 5 times.

Ok every time you reseat it you need new paste applied. Clean it off with rubbing alcohol. Some thermal paste takes awhile to burn in and start working well.

You might have a bad temperature sensor too.

Lastly and very importantly. AMD overdrive should not really be used for overclocking. If it is giving your chick too much juice it might be making it overheat.

One thing to try is set it back to stock settings, put the original CPU cooler on, run a stress test and watch the temps. After put your other heatsink on and do the same thing. If the after market CPU cooler is performing worse do to a defect contact them and do an RMA.

Edit: To overclock your CPU in the BIOS. Go into the CPU setting page and simply move up the multiplier up a notch and you are done. I doubt you will need much voltage but just set it to 1.4v vCore for now in the voltage settings. This should keep it mostly stable for now and you could probably lower that voltage a hair in the future.

Also just ask yourself. Is a 400mhz overclock worth $70 to you? Because if it is the D14 is great, if it isn't set it to stock.

Re Edit: You are using the Xigmatech Red Scorpian. This cooler uses direct touch heatpipes. I have found that with direct touch heatpipes you should use a goodly amount of thermal paste. On my hyper 212+ I use an X-shape straight out of the tube. As long as there isn't extra paste coming out the sides you aren't using too much.

Edited by gabrieltessin

Ok every time you reseat it you need new paste applied. Clean it off with rubbing alcohol. Some thermal paste takes awhile to burn in and start working well.

You might have a bad temperature sensor too.

Lastly and very importantly. AMD overdrive should not really be used for overclocking. If it is giving your chick too much juice it might be making it overheat.

One thing to try is set it back to stock settings, put the original CPU cooler on, run a stress test and watch the temps. After put your other heatsink on and do the same thing. If the after market CPU cooler is performing worse do to a defect contact them and do an RMA.

Edit: To overclock your CPU in the BIOS. Go into the CPU setting page and simply move up the multiplier up a notch and you are done. I doubt you will need much voltage but just set it to 1.4v vCore for now in the voltage settings. This should keep it mostly stable for now and you could probably lower that voltage a hair in the future.

Also just ask yourself. Is a 400mhz overclock worth $70 to you? Because if it is the D14 is great, if it isn't set it to stock.

Re Edit: You are using the Xigmatech Red Scorpian. This cooler uses direct touch heatpipes. I have found that with direct touch heatpipes you should use a goodly amount of thermal paste. On my hyper 212+ I use an X-shape straight out of the tube. As long as there isn't extra paste coming out the sides you aren't using too much.

Alrighty...reapplied thermal paste, cleaned the cpu and heat pipes thoroughly with alcohol, and now idles at about 33celcius. Now to go into the bios and follow some directions you all have given me. TYVM, and I shall report back. 400mhz oC? I'm trying to get to 4.0 lol (think this cooler can handle it?)

BTW the case is open, and laying down on it's side. I hope by moving it, it won't mess up the nice chilly (relatively) temps I have now.

also, the way i applied artic silver was from the syringe, a straight little rice width line down each heat pipe leaving a tiny little space at each end of the pipe as it will spread when smashed.

X shaped? and I can use copius amounts for this type of cooler? I thought it was bad to use too much...?

i have a buddy in my gaming clan that works for M.S. and has an extra thermaltake v-8 he wants to sell me cheap. What do you think about that cooler?

The d 14 is the best air cooler out there that i know of, i personally have a cooler master v6, and have gotten 4.0 stable so if the v8 is just as good or better than it will be an excellent cooler, although i did upgrade the fans on my v6 and keep them full blast with my controller

i just checked it out better the v8 is a 180 w cooler the v6 is a 200+w and that is with one fan, i have 2

so i guess the v6 is better

Edited by camaro_dude15

The d 14 is the best air cooler out there that i know of, i personally have a cooler master v6, and have gotten 4.0 stable so if the v8 is just as good or better than it will be an excellent cooler, although i did upgrade the fans on my v6 and keep them full blast with my controller

i just checked it out better the v8 is a 180 w cooler the v6 is a 200+w and that is with one fan, i have 2

so i guess the v6 is better

i'm thinking, and so is a friend, is that this is a C2 stepping processor, and no good overclocking available for this cpu...any of you agree? (verified it is a C2 stepping processor with cpu-z)

Edited by combatzombie

Alrighty...reapplied thermal paste, cleaned the cpu and heat pipes thoroughly with alcohol, and now idles at about 33celcius. Now to go into the bios and follow some directions you all have given me. TYVM, and I shall report back. 400mhz oC? I'm trying to get to 4.0 lol (think this cooler can handle it?)

BTW the case is open, and laying down on it's side. I hope by moving it, it won't mess up the nice chilly (relatively) temps I have now.

also, the way i applied artic silver was from the syringe, a straight little rice width line down each heat pipe leaving a tiny little space at each end of the pipe as it will spread when smashed.

X shaped? and I can use copius amounts for this type of cooler? I thought it was bad to use too much...?

Well you were going to 3.8 Ghz before so not a huge OC but 4Ghz is tough on most CPU coolers.

Man, its a crap shoot when seating direct touch heat pipes. If it was a flat base cpu cooler I say use as little but with direct touch it helps to fill in the gaps in the heat pipes.

I use the X pattern on my Hyper 212+ and it works much better than the other ways I have tried. Mess around and experiment until you find what works for you, or atleast until you are out of AS5.

Edited by gabrieltessin