A little help from the experts

blazeofx

Hey, new guy here, how are ya?

-Got a question for you guys.. might take me some time to explain but here goes... I got a really nice setup here but I am having trouble overclocking it

I'm listing everything, just because... Oh and another question for you guys as well afterwards..

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-X58A 6gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Mobo

X-58 & ICH10R North and South Bridge Chipsets

Processor:

Core i7 920 CPU @ 2.66 Cooled by a Zalman Heatsink

RAM:

Corsair XMS3 2GB x 3 (6GB Total) 1600MHz

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB x 3 (6GB Total) 1600 MHz

Graphics:

XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB

Sound:

Soundblaster Titanium Soundcard

Case:

Thermaltake Armor+

Mouse:

Logitech g9x

Steelseries QcK+ (Thin) Mousepad

Monitor:

Viewsonic 3D Ready 22" @ 120hz

Okay so my problem is that Easytune6 (the crappy overclocking tool from Gigabyte) will NOT overclock my PC to 3.2 or 3.4 ghz (which is all I want, I don't really see a need for getting 4.0 + with a system like this) AT ALL. I also am aware that people say this program is very terrible to do it from the BIOS, wherein lies my next problem... The BIOS will only clock my system to 2.8 GHz, that's it. So right now I'm just sitting at 2.66 and figured I'd give the experts a shout *hi btw :]*.

For the record, with this EXACT same setup, my dad was able to clock his i7 to MY desired speeds, and we both can't really figure out why it's not working. I tried removing easytune 6, reinstalling from the CD and the gigabyte website as well. I would say it's a firewall problem that is blocking the changes, but my dad also has the same programs I do for virus protection and system cleanage (tuneup utillities 2011 and Avast! Pro).

My second question is one you guys will be able to figure out in 2 seconds flat, which is...

-Can you run an XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB card with a Sapphire Radeon HD 4890? The only reason I ask is because I used to have an EVGA x58 3-way SLI mobo that me and my dad put in when we ordered all of these components, and the 4890 was my only gfx card. Since then, we have had MAJOR problems both rebooting and shutting down our machines (the same problem on TWO EVGA mobos??? wtf?). So we went with our trusty gigabyte x58s and these really are nice mobos btw. Anyways, the old EVGA didn't have enough PCI-E slots for 2 graphics cards and this one does (mind you I had a soundcard in the way I didn't want to remove anyways) and I could run two graphics cards if I wanted to, we both could, but aren't really sure if we can since we've always only had one.

Sorry for being long-winded, but figured I'd provide you with as much details as possible. Thanks in advance.

First off if you wanna overclock that i7 skip the easy tune and go right to the bus speed. Pump it from 133 to about 150 just to get you started. Take voltage off of auto and lock it in around the stock voltage. 1.25vcore This should get you to 3ghz no problem. Continue bring up the fsb until it wont boot. At some point your ram is going to hold you back but just lower the ram divider and keep going. Test for stability and add voltage to the vcore as needed. You could probably go straight to 3.2Ghz without an real tweaks other than the vCore.

As far as the Crossfire thing goes cards with the same cores will only crossfire together. The 4000 series and the 6000 series are very different so no real way to run these together.

Welcome to OCC mate! :thumbsup:

Don't worry about appearing to be long winded - the more information, the more we can help you out :)

I agree with what gabreil said above and would like to give this link to a great i7 overclocking guide.

Hopefully this will help get you started in the bios setup.

Edited by Alexandre

So I just ran intel burn test on my PC to test and see if my CPU clock and voltages were properly set *at suggestion of a friend* and my PC automatically shut off after getting up to about 96 degrees celsius on the test. Just asking, does the automatic shutoff harm your cpu in any way?

So I just ran intel burn test on my PC to test and see if my CPU clock and voltages were properly set *at suggestion of a friend* and my PC automatically shut off after getting up to about 96 degrees celsius on the test. Just asking, does the automatic shutoff harm your cpu in any way?

Well, not the shut-off itself, but does your cpu getting to 96 degrees celcius and then shutting off harm your pc at all? Because I ran it while my friend was here, it shut off, booted up just fine, but scared the crap out of me lol.

Note that this temperature was not there for long, my computer almost instantly shut itself off. I thought the CPU can get hotter, it's just that at this temperature, it's a safety feature that protects my CPU from the BIOS. I just want to make sure no damage is done.

no it doesnt.. having a running temperature of 96 and an off pc of the same temps are not the same thing.. u could store a cpu higher than u could run it.. if u get my drift :)

and as suggested.. ditched easytune.. always go through the bios.. and start with FSB as uve been told.. then back to us on ur progress :P

oh and a question.. for u to reach 96 degs.. what speed was it at? it seems rather high for 2.66ghz :/

Edited by mattyamdfanboi

i wouldtn use that burn test.. so many stories of motherboards catching fire.. and caps expoding.. lol

So have I, most of which have turned off their safety feature in the BIOS. What I'm asking tho is does the shutoff prevent damage before it occurs? Or could there be possible damage from the shutdown?

Man that is hot, I use Intel Burn Test all the time and I don't have any trouble with it. LinX however is a monster and I hate using it because it torches my motherboard. Everything just gets so hot when I use LinX.

As far as your temps go that is way too hot. If you are using the stock heatsink in a warm climate there is no way you will be able to keep that kind of overclock.

Pick up a cheap heatsink like the cooler master hyper 212+ or even the TX3 if you can get one cheap. Th core Contact freezer is good and cheap too.