New rig. Memory problem? Memtest 1 error

Hello, i have recently put together a new pc with the following specs:

I7 870

Asus P7P55D-E Deluxe

Radeon HD 6870

2x 4GB Corsair Dominator 1333mhz

XFX 750W Black edition

Running windows 7 ultimate 64bits.

Then I started having some trouble. Random applications started crashing and I started getting a screen flash followed by BSOD's with different errors, specially when I try to shut down the PC. (It's not everytime this happens though.)

I have all the latest drivers of my MB and VGA installed and device manager doesnt complain about anything.

So after checking out the reasons behind the BSOD errors I decided to run memtest86+ (newest version). I left it runing overnight with the 2 memory sticks in dual channel mode and it ran for about 8 or 9 hours. The one and only error found came up with about 30 or 40 minutes of testing.

Btw: my memory timings are hardset to 9-9-9-24 and voltage to 1.6.

Weird thing is, I dont get any BSOD while gaming, even after 5 - 6 hours straight.

A little help please! I am at work right now and my pc is running memtest again at home with only 1 stick in btw.

Important: Me and a friend got EXACT SAME COMPUTERS (except he got a HD5830) on the EXACT SAME STORES on the EXACT SAME DAY and he is having no issues at all without touching the bios (except to set the dram at 1333 instead of 1066).

Edited by kikoo182

Seems like a faulty stick to me, find out which on of the sticks is giving you a error. Then get a RMA done asap when you have confirmed which stick is faulty, if both are faulty then u just had some bad luck.

Just ran one of the sticks for another 8 hours on memtest, 0 errors. When I goto sleep I'll leave the other one running.

I have this feeling there won't be any errors again, and that scares me, cause then it's proly the MB right? some dual channel problem?

Just ran one of the sticks for another 8 hours on memtest, 0 errors. When I goto sleep I'll leave the other one running.

I have this feeling there won't be any errors again, and that scares me, cause then it's proly the MB right? some dual channel problem?

Then yes it will most likely be a board problem. Do keep in mind wrong voltages and timing on your ram could cause errors/instability too.

Then yes it will most likely be a board problem. Do keep in mind wrong voltages and timing on your ram could cause errors/instability too.

Ran the other stick for 11 passes (some 8 - 9 hours) and 0 errors found. But as soon as I booted windows with both sticks in, Catalyst control center stopped working and about 5 sec after I got another BSOD. This time the error was MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

I ran the windows memory diagnostic and it found no errors too. My ram is set at 9-9-9-24 and 1.65v. the timing is exactly as written in the memory stick.

Don't know what to do now :(

Ran the other stick for 11 passes (some 8 - 9 hours) and 0 errors found. But as soon as I booted windows with both sticks in, Catalyst control center stopped working and about 5 sec after I got another BSOD. This time the error was MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

I ran the windows memory diagnostic and it found no errors too. My ram is set at 9-9-9-24 and 1.65v. the timing is exactly as written in the memory stick.

Don't know what to do now :(

Do you have another known-good mobo you could try? It's beginning to sound like something on the mobo is not working properly. You may have some luck talking to the mobo manufacturer and getting an RMA, but in my experience it helps to know what the exact cause of the issue is before going down that road.

Do you have another known-good mobo you could try? It's beginning to sound like something on the mobo is not working properly. You may have some luck talking to the mobo manufacturer and getting an RMA, but in my experience it helps to know what the exact cause of the issue is before going down that road.

I could try it in my friends mobo, but I'm only gonna see him during the holiday that's coming up, since I live 500km from my hometown. I guess I'll keep trying to settle things in BIOS with the voltage and timing and see if there are any results for now.

Anyone got a better suggestion?

Does it throw the BSODs with the RAM settings set to auto? Maybe one of the modules doesn't like the manual settings or something with those manual settings is causing dual channel to get screwy. Basically just trying playing with it until you can get your hands on another mobo to try. Chances are, you'll know exactly what's wrong before then lol

Does it throw the BSODs with the RAM settings set to auto? Maybe one of the modules doesn't like the manual settings or something with those manual settings is causing dual channel to get screwy. Basically just trying playing with it until you can get your hands on another mobo to try. Chances are, you'll know exactly what's wrong before then lol

Ill do that. Btw, when I set everything to auto on my Bios, the Bios says ''target DRAM frequency: 1066mhz.'' WTF? My dram frequency is 1333 and the i7 870 is also 1066/1333. Is that something to worry about? Or should I just set the DRAM frequency to 1333 and forget about it?

I would set the DRAM frequency to 1066 for now and see what happens. Like the person above suggested, I wouldn't worry about the OC for now just worry about making it run right, then tweak from there. The issue is with memory stability it sounds like, so running everything at stock specs will rule out your OC as being the problem