New at Ocing PT.2

DnaAngel

I didnt expect to get many replies as to my first post, becuase i personally think i maxed the p4 out to what i could, But i have another question about an upcoming build.

I looking to build a medium end gaing rig here soon and just wanting to know what kind of numbers i can hit going into it. here are my predicted specs

Mobo: Biostar TA890FXE socket AM3

CPU: AMD Athlon 2 X4 945 3.1Ghz 2MB L2 Cache 4000Mhz HyperTransport (Stock Cooling)

RAM: 2x2GB OCZ Platnium 1600Mhz DDR3

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W

Case: Apevia X-Dreamer

Sound: Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Video: XFX Radeon HD 5770

HDD: 2x500GB WD Caviar Blue 7200Rpm 3.0 Gb/s

What is an estimated decent OC i can achieve at stock speeds, a know a few people with this case and its supposedly gets adequate air flow without the need of pricy AM coolers. any do you have any recommendations to hardware that will give me better performance without more then +10$ price difference? if so please give details and a link.

Thank you guys so much.

~DNA~

Edited by DnaAngel

its ALWAYS a good idea to get an AM cooler when you are overclocking. I dont know about the cpu you posted, it seems to be discontinued. I'd recommend this one its a little more pricey, but you should be able to coax 3.6 out of it fairly easily, and with better cooling you could probably get up to 3.8

also, the OCZ platinum series isnt as good as it used to be from what I've heard, you may want to look at some other ram. G.Skill and Mushkin are good and reasonably priced

you could also save some money by skipping the sound card. Most Mobo's have decent on board sound and Creative has been going down hill with its product quality.

The Athlon II X4 645 is far from discontinued and out performs half the Phenom II x4 line according to benchies. yea i can look into G.Skill, thats the Ram on my E8400/Geforce 9800 GTX Rig so is the Xtreme Gamer X-Fi card im just moving it over. The Sound Card is beat IMO and is a drast improvement over on board HD audio. By what ive read over time plus Word of mouth is that you can usually achieve up to a 10% OC with stock cooling and a HAF case. thats what im trying to achieve without modding, the best and stable OC with voltages and temps within very tolerable limits. im not looking to join the 5ghz club. but i know you can still achieve noticeable performance gains without modding

I would like to push the Athlon II to 3.5Ghz and if so ill grab a Zalman or equivalent

heres the link to my CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103885

Edited by DnaAngel

Thanks Sav that Phenom is only 20$ more and boasts almost a 400 point increase on benchies

Passmark 7.0 CPU Rating:

Phenom II X4 955 BE- 3937 Score

Athlon II X4 945- 3598 Score

Edited by DnaAngel

The Athlon II X4 645 is far from discontinued and out performs half the Phenom II x4 line according to benchies. yea i can look into G.Skill, thats the Ram on my E8400 Rig so is the Xtreme Gamer X-Fi card im just moving it over. The Sound Card is beat IMO and is a drast improvement over on board HD audio. By what ive read over time plus Word of mouth is that you can usually achieve up to a 10% OC with stock cooling and a HAF case. thats what im trying to achieve without modding, the best and stable OC with voltages and temps within very tolerable limits. im not looking to join the 5ghz club. but i know you can still achieve noticeable performance gains without modding

I would like to push the Athlon II to 3.5Ghz and if so ill grab a Zalman or equivalent

heres the link to my CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103885

Your OP said Athlon 2 X4 945 hence the confusion maybe. Your Athlon II x4 645 might get around 3.6, possibly higher. It wouldn't outperfom Phenom II's in some benches especially ones that use cache, but it will perform nicely in gaming.

Thank you, I have decided to take savs recc. and go with the Phenom II X4 955 instead. that should easily get to 3.5Ghz on stock cooling in HAF case. not to mention it has almost a 400 point increase on CPU benchmark scores and is only 20$ more

Any one have any good reccs on a pretty decent Socket AM3 ATX board other then the Biostar i listed? thats no more then 125$? that offers good BIOS options and board features. i could care less about USB 3.0 at this time

Edited by DnaAngel