Air Flow Setup for Heatsink Fan: N-S or W-E?

Hi Guys,

I tried a search in the forum but couldn't really get an answer. Which would be a better setup? There will be a 1 x 63 CFM installed with both options. Option 1 is the current setup.

1. W-E push/pull (2 x 63CFM) towards 1 x 49 CFM rear EXHAUST; with 2 x 49 CFM top EXHAUST

OR

2. N-S push/pull (2 x 63 CFM) towards 2 x 49 CFM top EXHAUST; with 1 x 49 CFM rear INTAKE

Edited by bill1clinton

A bit of extra info would be helpful and maybe some pictures. What type of case do you have and how is the airflow like inside the case? How big are the fans and what RPM you running each fan?

Also, I'm slightly confused by what you mean when you say "W-E" and "N-S" could you clarify?

Thanks mate

Im assuming he means hes got a tower type HSF and wants to know if it is better to run it 1) exhauting towards the rear of the case or 2) exhausting towards the top of the case.

In my opinion , its better to exhaust towards the rear of the case, because if the HSF is exhausting towards the top, its going to be sucking warm air directly off the video card.

Edited by Raddave

Hey, my bad. Here is more info for you. No time for pictures right now. And Raddave is correct.

N-S = North South setup or bottom to top airflow along my Venomous X

W-E = West East setup or front to back airflow along my Venomous X

I am using a Cosmos 1000 with all fans being 120mm Scythe S-Flex's.

Front bottom intake = 63 CFM @ 1600 rpm

Rear outtake = 49 CFM @ 1200 rpm

Top outtake = 2 x 49 CFM @ 1200 rpm

Heatsink (Thermalright Venomous x) = 2 x 63 @ 1600 rpm

Edited by bill1clinton

@ OP: how is N-S front to back? i was sure you meant bottom to top...

otherwise, you want the hot air from the cpu to be exhausted, so point it to the most fans (i.e. top where you had two) otherwise there will be a loop of some hot air not beeing exhausted, and beeing reheated some more...

A 63 CFM fan blowing into a 49 CFM one will create an overpreassure and some air will spread in all directions, some of that will go down, be heated by the backside of the GPU and sucked in to the CPU fan again, i.e. heating both cpu and gpu a little extra.

The other way the cpu fan will help the gpu keep cool and all air going through the cpu fans will either get trapped up top (for a while) or get exhausted resulting in cooler temps inside the case. The CPU might not get any cooler but it should help the other components (aslong as your psu is not up top, because the PSU if something you do not want to heat extra).

All 3 fans should be exhaust in any case, but if it is possible add another intake on the side or bottom of the case. Since now you will get an under pressure inside the case which effectively vacuums the surrounding for all dust available (no case is airtight). Right now you have (i assume the gpu and) 3x49CFM out anf 49CFM in, you basically want it the other way around (then the dust cant come in except for the intake fans where you can have filters)

just my thoughts

Update: replaced the top 2 x 49 CFM 120mm with 2 x 74 CFM 140mm and rotated the Venomous X so that it blows up.

End Result: my I7 920 @ 4 ghz drops 5C @ idle to 45C. I am happy.

nice!

45C idle is pretty high though (correct me if i'm wrong)

@medbor

really? I did a quick search and it seems like a pretty good idle temp particularly since it is over-clocked to 4 ghz (200 x 20, speedstep off). I hover at 80C under full load.

Then it seems fine... i don't own a i7 so i probably wouldn't know, especially overclocked :whistling:

i thought it was stock for some reason..