E8400 OC issues.

iskout

I OC'd my E8400 to 3.83 GHz last night, ran Prime95 for 16 hours, ran NovaBench today (Scored a 609. Meh), and played Oblivion for 1/2 an hour. (Skyrim coming out got me wanting to play it again).

So, it survived all of that with no hiccups at all. Why did it crash today while I was browsing the forums today: :mfp:

Voltages:

Northbridge: 1.45

FSB: 1.4

Vcore: 1.345

FSB: was at 1915, now it's at 1900 Multiplier: x8

Edited by iskout

Isk - did it crash to a blue screen error, lock up, shut down or your browser just stop responding? After having passed all the stress you through at it earlier it seems unlikely that your overclock is unstable.

it just shut down randomly and restarted. (Like a hard reboot, didn't send windows to shut down)

After that, I was having a hard time keeping from shutting down after more than 10 minutes of use. I'm back at my 3.6 right now, running fine.

I wasn't looking at the temp, but I know it wasn't the temp. My WC system hasn't let it go above 57 on Prime95, and usually it runs at about 51-52 on it.

How high would you suggest? I'm kinda wary about going above ~1.36-1.37 ish on this, since I'll be running it 24/7

Since you're on water cooling I'd try 1.38v for a bit and see how that goes.

I had an early production run E8400 that ran at 1.40v for months overclocked at 3.80Ghz. I finally tore that rig down and sold the board, memory and processor. To this day both are still in service with the new owner.

i have almost the same setup as you, except i have an asus maximus formula x38 and ocz reaper ddr2-1000 and an e7500. i'm running 1.35v which has kept me stable at 3.8ghz without any issue for over a year now. i believe ~1.4v for 24/7 operation is safe and 1.5v for some intense benching.

just curious, what are your temps?

Edited by battery

I posted them above, but at 3.83, after a 16 hour stress test, they didn't go above 57C, and that was only random spikes. More often than not, it was at 51-52C

I intend to add 2 more fans onto my radiator for a push/pull setup, since I'm only using a pull setup on my 120.2 rad right now.

sorry, not really sure how i missed that.

ok so i'm doing a little research and testing my own rig.

running p95 for about 30 minutes now and my proc hasn't gone over 50C.

now the problem with this is that my water pump isn't working and i have 3 more waterblocks in my loop than you do.

i'm thinking your temps should be much lower.

Edited by battery