I know that 1366 procs run hot, but seriously?

My system:

Case: Corsair 800D

CPU: Core i7-950 (Stock)

Mobo: Asus Sabretooth X58

GPU: PNY GTX 580 (Stock)

RAM: 6GB Corsair DDR3-1600 Dominator

SSD: 80GB Intel X25M

PSU: Corsair 850HX 850W Modular

As stated, everything is stock, there is no overclock at all, I have not modified or changed any case fans, set any custom cooling profiles or anything of that nature. I decided to do a burn in test on my CPU in anticipation of getting a new CPU cooler, to see what I should expect once I install it.

As you can see below, less than half an hour on Prime95 and I am at 99C. That is TjMax-1, I feel like this should be cause for alarm...Am I over-reacting or should I RMA this chip?

post-74423-12938429715291_thumb.png

:pfp: You need to re-seat that heatsink and make sure you applied your thermal compound correctly. Are you sure the heatsink fan is plugged in? It should not get that high. Even at idle with the stock heatsink, it should idle in the 30's. At load, around the 60's.

:pfp: You need to re-seat that heatsink and make sure you applied your thermal compound correctly. Are you sure the heatsink fan is plugged in? It should not get that high. Even at idle with the stock heatsink, it should idle in the 30's. At load, around the 60's.

Yeah I feel the same way...unfortunately I don't have any thermal compound lying around so I will have to do it next Monday when my new cooler gets here.

As an update, the cores touched off at 100 and I stopped the test. The voltages are 1.24. Even for a crappy chip that is wrong, the heat sink must be seated wrong, even though I have installed about 4-5 of these before and haven't had a problem, I imagine I must have screwed it up somehow. The only issue I had was that the little plastic plug screws kept popping out and not attaching correctly, though it only took a second to fix, and I didn't think much of it at the time because I just needed to push them back down, I imagine that could have mucked up the thermal paste or put the heat sink on an uneven kilter.

In any case, I will be turning the computer off for the weekend and turning it back on once I have my Noctua put on.

As you can see below, less than half an hour on Prime95 and I am at 99C. That is TjMax-1, I feel like this should be cause for alarm...Am I over-reacting or should I RMA this chip?

I had a similar issue when I put my aftermarket cpu cooler (a cheap-o Contac 29) on my i7 930. Turned out one of the push-pins holding the cooler wasn't pressed all the way down - so the heat sink wasn't sitting properly to transfer heat. After I fixed that up it worked fine.

Also like El said make sure you applied the thermal compound correctly and that the cpu fan is flowing with your case air flow and not against it.

I had a similar issue when I put my aftermarket cpu cooler (a cheap-o Contac 29) on my i7 930. Turned out one of the push-pins holding the cooler wasn't pressed all the way down - so the heat sink wasn't sitting properly to transfer heat. After I fixed that up it worked fine.

Also like El said make sure you applied the thermal compound correctly and that the cpu fan is flowing with your case air flow and not against it.

I checked the fan, it is installed correctly, and the thermal compound is the stock compound that is included on the heatsink with the chip. I will be out of town all weekend, and then I will have a new cooler, so I will install that and see what happens then.

If you're not going to turn on the computer, I recommend taking the heatsink off the CPU. There might be some uneven pressure on the CPU that could possibly damage it, if the issue isn't the thermal compound.

If you're not going to turn on the computer, I recommend taking the heatsink off the CPU. There might be some uneven pressure on the CPU that could possibly damage it, if the issue isn't the thermal compound.

Sure, I will go ahead and do that, thanks.

60c load is nowhere near his 100c during prime95.

Thats not my point...... he'll continue to get high temps with that stock cooler since, as he said the 800D is stock. Meaning there are no top mounted fans at all! The heat can't escape properly from the system. I referred him to my thread so he can see the configuration that would help the situation. So yeah check the thread.