Aftermarket GPU air cooling?

alexonfyre

For reference, I have a PNY XLR8 GTX 580, but this question is a general query about air cooling on GPUs.

Most major cooling companies make an aftermarket air VGA cooler of some sort, but there isn't nearly the discussion on them that there is for CPU coolers. Most of the ones I have seen have been either really difficult to use/warranty destroying, or simply ineffective. They also seem to focus only on the GPU itself while leaving the VRMs and MOSFETs to fry.

Are there any aftermarket VGA coolers out there that are worth using for better OCs? Or is it water cooling or bust for GPUs?

Not sure. For a $500 graphics card, I'd spend the money on watercooling that sucker.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aftermarket-vga-cooling-shaman,2797-4.html

Plus, those air coolers are big and heavy...

Yeah, I feel the same way, but all of these companies are selling them, so I thought I might be missing something. Are there any that are known as "great coolers" like the Megahalems or Ven-X are for CPUs?

Yeah, I feel the same way, but all of these companies are selling them, so I thought I might be missing something. Are there any that are known as "great coolers" like the Megahalems or Ven-X are for CPUs?

I think the Arctic Accelero's have been making a good name for themselves, but other than that, I don't know. When I got my HD 5870 2GB ROG Matrix ($250), it came with a huge non-reference cooler. It did a nice job of cooling, but it was HEAVY! Once I took that thing off and put a GPU water block on there, it's nearly silent and cools even better at max load (max 50C). The only thing is I didn't get a full cover water block, so I use ramsinks and have fans blowing on the thermal regulators (which keeps it to 52C max at load).

Water cooling is the best way to cool, imo.

I think the Arctic Accelero's have been making a good name for themselves, but other than that, I don't know. When I got my HD 5870 2GB ROG Matrix ($250), it came with a huge non-reference cooler. It did a nice job of cooling, but it was HEAVY! Once I took that thing off and put a GPU water block on there, it's nearly silent and cools even better at max load (max 50C). The only thing is I didn't get a full cover water block, so I use ramsinks and have fans blowing on the thermal regulators (which keeps it to 52C max at load).

Water cooling is the best way to cool, imo.

Economically, it seems like a reasonable compromise, since you can get the VRM cooler and the "Shaman" you posted before, for the same or less than the price of a good VGA waterblock, and not requiring the reservoir, pump, radiator, tubing and fittings that you need for water cooling, but I don't think that you can actually see performance gains on a GPU until you make the leap to water cooling. I know some people like to do "Silent" builds, and they might be good alternative to water financially, but that is the only reason I can see.

he spent 500 on a video card, i imagine cheap isn't necessarily the defining motivator to do anything. i would recommend a universal waterblock. not the full cover ones, because most of the time you can get new mounting hardware to adapt it to any future gpu's you will have.

he spent 500 on a video card, i imagine cheap isn't necessarily the defining motivator to do anything. i would recommend a universal waterblock. not the full cover ones, because most of the time you can get new mounting hardware to adapt it to any future gpu's you will have.

Truth, I am not going to invest more on a GPU than I can on cooling it. Though I am going to have to wait a few months, gotta spread all this out over a few pay checks.