Best bang for buck ... for video processing?

OCFreak

Hi guys, haven't been on here for a while, hope everyone is well. And Happy Holidays to all!

On to the nerd stuff ... I am looking to possibly upgrade my video card, I haven't been gaming at all, but I am spending more and more time on the machine now doing video processing. I have pulled one of the 5770s that was in there, and I am currently still running one as the main card.

I am going to pull the CPU next, and I plan on getting the 1090T for a Christmas present to myself next week. I have oodles of memory, and I think my issue is video card performance, but I am not sure.

Any advice on video processing video cards? ATI or NVidia? Which cards? And where is my money best spent. For more information please just ask, most of the video will be coming from an HD Camcorder, and a Nikon D7000.

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 for the most part. Audacity for audio bits and Hand Brake for a transcoder.

I am wondering if there would truly be anything to actually get out of a new workstation card over my 5770. I think the new CPU will make a big difference, as well as a second SSD.

I cant remember, are any of the Amd cards supported by the CS5 graphics acceleration? I know the 2xx series and the 4xx above the 460 and probably the 5xx series are supported. That might help in the decision but it probably will not make a huge speed increase.

Yeah, you are right. Here is a list of supported GPU accelerated cards:

* GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)

* GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)

* Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)

* Quadro 5000 (Windows)

* Quadro 5000M (Windows)

* Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)

* Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)

* Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)

* Quadro CX

I will look into the NVidia cards. That sucks, I am a huge supporter of AMD in general.

Yes. Though if you want futureish proofing (not really possible but...) you could go with a 500 series as i am sure they will be supported. Especially if you are one of those people who gets each CS as soon as it comes out.

If it was me i would go with the 470 as i cant afford the 570 but thats up to you.