Overclocking era over ?

UT66

990X = last 1366 processor.. Socket 2011 comes out Q2/Q3

"Sandy Bridge" XEON = Romley (Q3)

I believe both of the above are public knowledge (check Wikipedia)

Nice. Possible Quad Channel memory. http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/09/16/intel-shows-off-next-gen-xeon/1 and Octacore XEON's.

I wouldn't go by everything in Wikipedia though, some of the info/graphs is contradicting or not updated.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't go by everything in Wikipedia though, some of the info/graphs is contradicting or not updated.

Definitely - but as long as it's out in the open....

What makes me wonder about the possible competitive pricing of Intel's Sandy Bridge CPU's, how AMD will price their Bulldozer's. If the 2600k is in the $312 range, and the 1100T is in the $220 range, then I can't see the highest Bulldozer winning in the $312 range, possible in the $220 range with the 1100T's dropping in price, which might screw over AMD.

What makes me wonder about the possible competitive pricing of Intel's Sandy Bridge CPU's, how AMD will price their Bulldozer's. If the 2600k is in the $312 range, and the 1100T is in the $220 range, then I can't see the highest Bulldozer winning in the $312 range, possible in the $220 range with the 1100T's dropping in price, which might screw over AMD.

I don't think we should be looking at the 2600K but the 2500k.

The 2500K does not have hyper threading because it is a true i5 in my opinion. The i5's are the affordable series of intels line. AMD's tend to be low cost so a cheap chip is better suited to be compared to the current i5's rather than the i7's.

The 2600K is basically what we would call now as an i7 that is on the 1156 platform. It wont have triple channel memory because of this and the difference between the 2500K and the 2600K will be minimal at equal clock speeds. The only thing that will make the 2600 shine is Hyper threading but honestly the gains in the current gen would suggest that this isn't a big enough difference for it to cost $100+ than the 2500.

2500K $205 =i5 760 $216 (but with an unlocked multi making it a better value?)

2600K $317 =i7 875K $320

These are not going to be Intel's flagship procs and shouldn't be compared to AMD's flagships unless Bulldozer can not keep up with the new 1356 socket.

Edited by gabrieltessin