Am I running too hot?

bill1clinton

Hi Guys,

My i7 920 oc'ed to 4ghz is running at about 50C at idle. Would this be too hot? Should I look for more/better cooling? Thanks guys!

Asus PT6D Deluxe

i7 920 @ 4 ghz (20x200)

6 x 2gig Corsair XMS3 (9-9-9-24)

vcore = 1.25

qpi/dram core voltage = 1.35

dram bus voltage = 1.66

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme rev C. w/ S-Flex 49CFM 120mm

Hi Guys,

My i7 920 oc'ed to 4ghz is running at about 50C at idle. Would this be too hot? Should I look for more/better cooling? Thanks guys!

Asus PT6D Deluxe

i7 920 @ 4 ghz (20x200)

6 x 2gig Corsair XMS3 (9-9-9-24)

vcore = 1.25

qpi/dram core voltage = 1.35

dram bus voltage = 1.66

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme rev C. w/ S-Flex 49CFM 120mm

upgrade your cpu cooling "fan" not the heatsink. Maybe and 80cfm?

@SpeedCrazy

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Rev C

@TropicalPreist

I kind of realized that 49CFM may be a bit on the low side but I was hoping to keep my rig more on the quiet side. Do you have a particular fan you can recommend?

I'm thinking of the Scythe Slip Stream medium flow (68CFM).

As well, I read somewhere that a push pull setup did not achieve much improvement on this heatsink. Was I misled?

Edited by bill1clinton

I'm a Noctua NF-P12 fan... but a beige color scheme means you prefer cooling and silence over cooling and looks. :P

$18.95 a pop at Amazon.

Your case can also contribute to poor CPU temps. What case do you have, and what intake/outtake fans?

A push/pull on a CPU whether it's on a heatsink or rad (for watercooling) will give you about 3C - 6C difference depending on the CFM's of the fans for load temps. It varies on idle temps.

@El_Capitan

I'm using the Cooler Master Cosmos 1000. I have 1 intake at the front bottom, 2 outtake at the back top and 1 outtake at the back; all 4 are Scythe 49CFMs. From what I can see, I do not have any major blockages in airflow from wiring; I place a lot of time into the cable management in order to ensure this. As well, I noticed that I am at 3 to 1 on the outtake and intake fan ratio, however, interestingly enough, this is how this case was configured when I got it.

Edited by bill1clinton

I'm a Noctua NF-P12 fan... but a beige color scheme means you prefer cooling and silence over cooling and looks. :P

$18.95 a pop at Amazon.

+1 Yep Noctua raised ugly to an art form but they are great fans. Theres better performing ones out there but they go faster and sound louder to do it.

I would add another another intake fan and maybe replace the existing one with a Noctua NF-S12B Flex. Higher airflow but less static pressure.

For the CPU cooler I would use the NF-P12 (higher Static pressure, a little less airflow). Higher static pressure is more important for CPU cooler with dense fins like yours.

Both of those fans are quiet, under 20DBA at full speed which is what I run mine at.

Edited by dihartnell

Put a front mounted intake fan for that case if you can, but a fan pulling air from your heatsink to the rear outtake fan would be my 1st choice. You can always test it out to see which is better, a front intake or a pull fan for your heatsink. Otherwise, your case cooling seems fine. What thermal paste are you using, and how long has it been since you've re-applied it?