Workstation Type Build

MisFiT_

Hello OCC!

I am ready to build a new "simple" workstation type computer for a friend that will be doing a lot of business related tasks such as the following:

Heavy internet usage, multiple internet tabs.

Heavy multitasking on document forms, program usage such as Word, Excel ect.

Saving/opening lots of different types of files

I have not kept up with the latest hardware so I need some assistance on part selection.

This computer won't need a lot of storage, the current computer only has about 20 GB used.

Will an SSD drive be worth the price and speed for this type of build since this computer will not need a lot of storage?

Cheaper the better as long as everything will run at its fastest (don't we all want that?)

After researching types of processors that are best of value, I see the Athlon X3, X4 types are a good start for deciding on the processor, though I am still researching.

I like what this Newegg bundle gives. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.543707

Any start on part selection will be great thank you OCC!

Edited by MisFiT_

Go for athlon x4 with 2x2GB ram. Motherboard with integrated graphics (chipset xxxG (880G for example)) and usb3, SATA 6Gb/s, 4 RAM slots (for upradeablity), and preferrably total of 6 sata ports.

to build this computer in an awesome style use this:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/09/01/asus-m4a88t-i-deluxe-mini-itx-review/1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131659

then you can fit it in a really small enclosing and exerything important is included, and if he edits video or photos you can add a gpu.

Go for athlon x4 with 2x2GB ram. Motherboard with integrated graphics (chipset xxxG (880G for example)) and usb3, SATA 6Gb/s, 4 RAM slots (for upradeablity), and preferrably total of 6 sata ports.

to build this computer in an awesome style use this:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/09/01/asus-m4a88t-i-deluxe-mini-itx-review/1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131659

then you can fit it in a really small enclosing and exerything important is included, and if he edits video or photos you can add a gpu.

Sounds pretty good, I agree, use the Athlon II x4 CPU, its a great little processor. 4gb of RAM at a minimum, these days 4gb is the new 512mb, even if you dont think your going to need it, you just get it because its the accepted amount even for everyday tasks.

While USB3 sounds good, you wont need SATA 6gb/s i dont think. It wont hurt anything, but its pretty unnecessary though. You will want 4 RAM slots, Dont know why you'd need 6 sata ports for a workstation like computer that only needs a few gigs of storage outside the OS install.

Here is the RAM i would recommend. Excellent company, great quality, great price, cant be beat! Gives plenty of ram to be running all the web browser windows and spreadsheets your client will desire.

If you goto the AMD chipset 890gx, you get up to the 4290 integreated GPU which currently is the most powerful integreated GPU out there right now. It will help with everyday usage in windows especially with the AERO interface, and when GPU accelerated web browsing finally gets into play(IE9 is looking to be the first player here, IE9 is already in BETA should be out soon~ish next year) it will help dramatically then too. but the 880g with the 4250 is perfectly fine too.

Im so glad you brought up the use of an SSD. an SSD would be Absolutely perfect for this build. Use one with a minimum of 60gb of storage, i HIGHLY recommend this Mushkin SSD, with the Sandforce controller its got insane reads and writes. This would make your client feel like they have the fastest computer on the planet. SSD's are amazing, if you've never used one, thats fine, you wont miss it. But once you've used one as your OS/boot drive, its really hard to deal without having one.

IF your looking for some good brands, i really like ASUS for motherboards, but Gigabyte and MSI are ok too. Corsair, Mushkin, PC Power and Cooling, SeaSonic and CoolerMaster all make good Power supplies as well.

Yeah i forgot what kind of computer this was... 6 sata ports ar not needed (just 2 for SSD and optical device really, but one backup is nice to have if extra storage is needed in the future) ;)

There are some slim PSU/Chassis combination for ITX motherboards (the one i linked), and you will need about 300W to be on the safe side (200W bare minimum).

If you might want to add an gpu later at least 400W PSU, but then a 'normal' psu is more fitting, and an htpc/atx/µatx case.

I absolutely recommend an SSD (40GB bare minimum), since then this computer will become blazing fast!

Its just so much cooler to have an awesome computer in a minimal size (and it wont cost (much) more)

Edit:

Mercury knows what he is talking about, read it ;)

Edited by medbor