Buying Phenom II X3 740 OEM cpu, need heatsink to go with it

pkilway

I'm looking at parting a new system together and *think* I've decided on the Phenom II X3 740 OEM that's available at Newegg.com (can read my thread here for more info). I've looked here for cooling ideas, but some of the more intriguing hsf's on their list I can't find ANYWHERE for sale (Scythe Zipang, Zipang 2, Infinity and Mine Rev. B). I'm looking for a quiet hsf (if need be I'll add a different fan if the heatsink is outstanding), but was hoping to spend > $45 on this part.

I was looking at the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler , but the retention mechanism on the mobo I bought is oriented up/down, not side to side. So this would point the fan at the top of the case. The Coolermaster Elite 430 that I purchased does allow for two fans at the top of the case, but the cpu socket is lined up between where both these fans would be mounted.

I was hoping to find a hsf that allow me to mount it so it would blow towards the fan on the back of the case. I was looking at the XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm but can't seem to find much info on it.

CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ for $27 free shipping. I've overclocked the Phenom II x3 720 BE no problems with it, and even my Phenom II x6 1090T (125W TDP compared to a 95W TDP) has a max temp of 50C in Prime95. That's with just 1 Noctual NF-P12 fand blowing outwards to the back of the case.

I also might be selling it soon if you're interested. $30, shipping included. You get a Noctua NF-P12 fan, which is better than the Cooler Master fans, and usually costs around $18 by itself, but I don't have the 2nd fan metal attachment piece (I'll have to look for one or you can contact Cooler Master and they'll send you one for free).