CPU idle temp misread?

I have an Intel C2D E8400 with a BFG 680i SLI motherboard and a Corsair A50 heatsink/fan. For some reason, no matter what software I use, the idle temperature doesn't waver from 42*C. I've heard of issues with the 45nm chips not being able to properly be detected for temperature by the 680i series motherboards. Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

I've used realtemp, coretemp, speedfan (WAAAY off at 475*C), and the Nvidia System Monitor. None of them register any temps below 42*C, no matter the ambient temperature.

Well if you drop your ambient temp by 10 degrees then you should see a difference in temps for sure. I would say that yes you have a temperature reporting problem.

Have you updated your bios? That might help.

Edited by Hemidare

Well if you drop your ambient temp by 10 degrees then you should see a difference in temps for sure. I would say that yes you have a temperature reporting problem.

Have you updated your bios? That might help.

I have the most updated BIOS that BFG released. Their website is under construction right now, so I can't check if they've released any newer ones. It's unlikely, though, as they don't make motherboards anymore, and this board is 3 years old. (Already? Wow.)