Very high idle temps, Q9300 w/ P5N-D

theredchaser

The bios is the newest version for my mobo.

I ended up lapping the cooler, reapplying thermal paste after taking the old crud off, then slapped 2 100+cfm fans for a push-pull. Undervolted the vcore by a tiny bit to 1.25v. Added another case fan. My temps are now in the 50's range, which still sucks...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bios is the newest version for my mobo.

I ended up lapping the cooler, reapplying thermal paste after taking the old crud off, then slapped 2 100+cfm fans for a push-pull. Undervolted the vcore by a tiny bit to 1.25v. Added another case fan. My temps are now in the 50's range, which still sucks...

maybe your chip is defective O_O

what did it run at with the stock cooler??

My q9300 has always reported around 50c at idle. However when I upgraded from a POS cooler to an H50 the load temps dropped 13-15 degrees across the cores.

CONCLUSION: The idle/minimum temps reported on the q9300 are high.

Here's the link to my cooler upgrade thread.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=176008&st=0&p=1818755&hl=Today&fromsearch=1entry1818755

I guess some cores dropped by 20 degrees. sweet.

Edited by Utmost

And idea, if the sensors are truly out of whack is get the temperature of your room and then calibrate the sensors to be maybe 3C above that at idle in your temp monitoring program

The idle temps aren't something to worry about (nor to set by). Load temps are what matters - if he's only hitting 60 or 70 under full load then he's just got a wonky reading at idle.

So idle processor temps are usually 3degrees above ambient?

I was just taking a basic number that'd be alot closer to his idle temps

The idle temps aren't something to worry about (nor to set by). Load temps are what matters - if he's only hitting 60 or 70 under full load then he's just got a wonky reading at idle.

well yeah but if you can manually set them down to remove the error than he'd know a much better estimate

for instance in Core Temp if you goto options>adjust offsets, you can manually set all the sensors down to around what they ought to be

and example would be to type in "-20" if his ambient's were 30C

well yeah but if you can manually set them down to remove the error than he'd know a much better estimate

for instance in Core Temp if you goto options>adjust offsets, you can manually set all the sensors down to around what they ought to be

and example would be to type in "-20" if his ambient's were 30C

That's true but it won't get you an accurate setting. The temps get more inaccurate the further away from TjMax especially on the newer quads (they tend to read high at idle).

That's true but it won't get you an accurate setting. The temps get more inaccurate the further away from TjMax especially on the newer quads (they tend to read high at idle).

Ya but is he getting accurate data now? :P

I think he oughta try it and see if the numbers make more sense

Ya but is he getting accurate data now? :P

I think he oughta try it and see if the numbers make more sense

I agree it's not accurate but that doesn't mean he should adjust the non-accurate idle temperature because that'll throw off his load temps.

I agree it's not accurate but that doesn't mean he should adjust the non-accurate idle temperature because that'll throw off his load temps.

you're saying it'd through off a ratio?? I thought it'd just simply take -15C off of all reported temps?

you're saying it'd through off a ratio?? I thought it'd just simply take -15C off of all reported temps?

It does - but the reported temps are full load are likely accurate. The accuracy at idle is what sucks - so if he lowers it to fix his idle temps his load temperature readings will be WAY off.