A water cooling challenge

endorphiend

Maybe I'm being naive, but why are you dismissing 140's so easily without an explanation? A 120.5 (total) setup has 720 square cm surface area. A 140.4 setup has 784 square cm surface area which is ~9% more. I know the 140mm fans aren't as highly optimized as 120mm fans.

This review shows a 140.3 dissipating about 600W in the 10C delta graph, so I'd assume a 140.3 + 140.1 would be able to handle this setup.

I'm trying to see what gain there would be by attaching a radiator mount to the outside of my case, compared to keeping all the hardware inside. Are we talking a 2-3C difference, or 10C difference?

As far as the fans they are makeing alot more 140mm now, the monsta lite takes 120mm or 140mm fans so there should be no problem with fans. I just bought a 140mm 110cfm fan for my exhaust. I have no idea why he would say a 120mm rads is going to out preform 140mm rads.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A 140.1 will not cool 2 fermis IMO.

Use a 120.2 for the cards and the 120.3 for CPU. That is the best choice.

The 140.1 would not be cooling the cards cpu by itself there would also be a 140.3 in the loop. No one needs a 120.3 just for a cpu. its overkill.

You might be able to run it with one 140.1 rad mounted where the 140mm exhaust, have it cooling your cpu, then put a 120.3 in the top. It would go, pump to cpu block to 140.1 rad to video cards to 120.3 to res to pump. You could also put a 140.3 in the top. Thats what i would do is put a 140.3 in the top and a 140.1 where the case exhaust is, that way it is all in the case. A Monsta lite would look really nice in the top.

Have you seen anybody fit a 140.3 at the top of a HAF X? I've been searching a bit and it sounds like it may not fit :dunno:

Have you seen anybody fit a 140.3 at the top of a HAF X? I've been searching a bit and it sounds like it may not fit :dunno:

It'd be tight if you use big fans - my 120.3 from Swiftech with 38 mm fans in push/pull comes pretty close to the motherboard. If you're using a really thick radiator or thick fans you may end up with a bit of a problem with clearance. A 140.3 might not bolt up into the existing holes either - they are for 120mm fans only - so you'd have to mod a little anyway to make it fit (which makes it easy to move it enough so that it clears the mobo).

You could go with a 140.1 on the back and a 120.3 on the top as long as you used decent fans. That'd save you from modding the case if you don't want to.

I gave it a good think this afternoon, and I'm leaning towards doing my water cooling in two phases. Designing a loop to cool a pair of 480's + i7 as my first loop seems like a disaster waiting to happen, no matter how careful I am. So for now, I'm going to put my CPU under water with a 120.3 rad (really don't think the 140.3 will fit). It will be major overkill for just the CPU, but will leave room to upgrade in the future. When I get ready to put the 480's under water I'll see about getting a second radiator.

I'll post some design pics later this weekend showing how I plan to set everything up, as time allows.

I gave it a good think this afternoon, and I'm leaning towards doing my water cooling in two phases. Designing a loop to cool a pair of 480's + i7 as my first loop seems like a disaster waiting to happen, no matter how careful I am. So for now, I'm going to put my CPU under water with a 120.3 rad (really don't think the 140.3 will fit). It will be major overkill for just the CPU, but will leave room to upgrade in the future. When I get ready to put the 480's under water I'll see about getting a second radiator.

I'll post some design pics later this weekend showing how I plan to set everything up, as time allows.

The 140.3 does fit, but from what others say, it will take a little modding, they say it easy. I dont water cool cards anymore, the heatsinks and fans they put on them now are pretty good. I just turn the fan to 80% while i game, Its to much trouble because i upgrade pretty much every time a better card comes out. Plus if you need to pull them out it is just to much trouble. Ive got a 120.2 on my processor, and it has really good temps. load is high 50s low 60s when i have it at 1.45 volts. I did a couple of benches, then just turned every thing to stock, will overclock if i ever need to.

Heres a link, where someone put one in.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253972

Edited by crazy8s846

The 140.3 does fit, but from what others say, it will take a little modding, they say it easy. I dont water cool cards anymore, the heatsinks and fans they put on them now are pretty good. I just turn the fan to 80% while i game, Its to much trouble because i upgrade pretty much every time a better card comes out. Plus if you need to pull them out it is just to much trouble. Ive got a 120.2 on my processor, and it has really good temps. load is high 50s low 60s when i have it at 1.45 volts. I did a couple of benches, then just turned every thing to stock, will overclock if i ever need to.

Heres a link, where someone put one in.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253972

I'm gonna go without modding my case and just get a 120.3 for the processor since I have room for it.

As far as my 480's, the temps are fine. I keep them at stock clocks and undervolted them slightly to reduce temps. I have them fold about 8 hours a day, sometimes more, and the temps are sitting around 68-70C while they pump out 14k ppd each. It's more the noise that bothers me while folding or gaming that I'd like to get rid of.

Why would anyone want to mod their case when a 120.3 fits without modding it and will do the job sufficiently? Good call endo. Build the CPU cooling first then you can take on the GPU's. He just won't shut up on the 140mm though. Good luck.

Edited by Drdeath

I'm gonna go without modding my case and just get a 120.3 for the processor since I have room for it.

As far as my 480's, the temps are fine. I keep them at stock clocks and undervolted them slightly to reduce temps. I have them fold about 8 hours a day, sometimes more, and the temps are sitting around 68-70C while they pump out 14k ppd each. It's more the noise that bothers me while folding or gaming that I'd like to get rid of.

Edited by crazy8s846

Why would anyone want to mod their case when a 120.3 fits without modding it and will do the job sufficiently? Good call endo. Build the CPU cooling first then you can take on the GPU's. He just won't shut up on the 140mm though. Good luck.

Edited by crazy8s846

Ill tell you i like it when you post like this, just shows everyone what a &^%$ head you are. Keep up the good work. Soon no one will take your advice, because they wont like you.