RAM Voltage

I wanna oc my ram a bit to go along with my CPU overclock, but since RAM don't have thermal sensors, I can't tell how hot they are. Seeing how it's the voltage that dictates for the most part, the temperature that the RAM will have, I was wondering how high in general should RAM voltage go.

Right now, I've got my RAM at 1.9V from the stock 1.6V. I've overclocked the ram to 1600Mhz from 1333, but I'd also like to tighten the timings a little.

For now, since I don't know the temp, and I've added a bunch of power, I added an old AMD CPU fan, which I've placed between a molex cable, and my CDROM drive, so it's really not that secure and it could easily fall. Not to mention that the fan is pretty noisy since it's running at max rpm. I'd like to not have it there if it's not necessary, but at the moment I just don't know if my RAM is too hot or not.

I wanna oc my ram a bit to go along with my CPU overclock, but since RAM don't have thermal sensors, I can't tell how hot they are. Seeing how it's the voltage that dictates for the most part, the temperature that the RAM will have, I was wondering how high in general should RAM voltage go.

Right now, I've got my RAM at 1.9V from the stock 1.6V. I've overclocked the ram to 1600Mhz from 1333, but I'd also like to tighten the timings a little.

For now, since I don't know the temp, and I've added a bunch of power, I added an old AMD CPU fan, which I've placed between a molex cable, and my CDROM drive, so it's really not that secure and it could easily fall. Not to mention that the fan is pretty noisy since it's running at max rpm. I'd like to not have it there if it's not necessary, but at the moment I just don't know if my RAM is too hot or not.

Foundthis that may be of help, if its the same memory you are running. It suggests you can push to 1.9v and get some pretty high overclocks.

Foundthis that may be of help, if its the same memory you are running. It suggests you can push to 1.9v and get some pretty high overclocks.

Nice find, thanks. The RAM should be the same except that mine has a stock voltage of 1.6 instead of 1.8, and the timings are 8-8-8-24 I think.

Though the article doesn't mention anything about the temperatures. I don't know if they did the tests with only the RAM, or if they added fans or something to make them cooler... which is what I'm most interested in since I gotta know if I can remove the fan, or if it's not enough and I shouldn't do the overclock at all unless I get one of those special DIMM fans that u stick on top of the RAM.

Anyway, I ran p95 and 10 minutes in I got an error on one of the cores which was probably caused by an overheating DIMM. I lowered the voltage from 1.9 to ~1.85. P95 is running atm again so hopefully I don't get anymore problems.