overclocking Phenom II 965 x4

Here is a link to my CPU-Z validator if it can help you. Many have warned you about heat but in my experience anything below 70c is fine. Mine ran 24/7 at 68-70c and the person I sold it to still does the same and the chip hasn't missed a beat, The trick with heat is if you're going to run heat intensive overclocks let them run 24/7. It's the heating up and cooling down from starting and shutting down that really hurts the CPUs in the long run. JMHO.

http://valid.canardp...c.php?id=897572

This is plain terrible advise. 63 is max TDP for the chip. Although it is stress testing it will degrdate the chip. ALL PHENOMS OVERCLOCK BEST WHEN KEEPING TEMPS UNDER 55. If you need that much voltage for your overclock, you need better cooling. Plain and simple. I hate to be the devils advocate on this one but anyone, expecially in a overclock forum that recommends over max TDP on any chip should think about what they say sometimes. I apologize for being frank on this one but some people just cannot afford to throw out hundreds for a new chip when it fails. I am not saying that it will fail but sheeesh, it is just bad advise. It is not just the cycles that kill a AMD chip it is heat. If the cooling is good and the heat stays down, AMD chips can handle higher voltages such as 1.6V...... and not suffer a lot of degredation. I have overclocked Phenoms since their conception and have read hundreds of threads on this.....

Edited by Drdeath

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think i ran into some problems i cant get this chip stable for some reason. anything over 4.0 ghz gives me a bsod even when i increase core voltage, 3.8 isnt completley stable anymore when i started backing off for stabilty i can only get 3.6 stable, at 3.8 running prime 95 after about 25 mins one of the workers has an error and stops, its wierd because 4.0 was stable the first time i stressed it. any thoughts?

also fallout 3 seems to freeze a lot

Edited by camaro_dude15

This is plain terrible advise. 63 is max TDP for the chip. Although it is stress testing it will degrdate the chip. ALL PHENOMS OVERCLOCK BEST WHEN KEEPING TEMPS UNDER 55. If you need that much voltage for your overclock, you need better cooling. Plain and simple. I hate to be the devils advocate on this one but anyone, expecially in a overclock forum that recommends over max TDP on any chip should think about what they say sometimes. I apologize for being frank on this one but some people just cannot afford to throw out hundreds for a new chip when it fails. I am not saying that it will fail but sheeesh, it is just bad advise. It is not just the cycles that kill a AMD chip it is heat. If the cooling is good and the heat stays down, AMD chips can handle higher voltages such as 1.6V...... and not suffer a lot of degredation. I have overclocked Phenoms since their conception and have read hundreds of threads on this.....

:withstupid: Phenoms like love lower temps better than they do higher voltages. Although in my sig my 1090T reaches 60C, it only goes that high when I'm stress testing. Normal applications (while folding, mind you), I've yet to see it reach even 45C on a Hyper 212.