...That can't be good.

F13Bubba

hey guys. About 2 weeks after I got a second monitor to use with my computer, I've been having weird flashes. It's used to happen very rarely, I would open a program or go to a new webpage, and the screen, mostly the secondary one, will have a quick flash. It's been getting more and more frequent, and black lines appear sometimes. Also, in MW2, I'll be playing for an hour or so, and then it'll freeze for a few seconds, and then both screens go dark, or gray, and then after a few more seconds, they come back up, and everything works again. oh, and during the screen freeze, the whole computer freezes up. I'm wondering what the issue is. I'm leaning towards my PSU not supplying sufficient amperage to the card.

BTW, as soon as my dad gets paid, and in turn pays me, I'll be getting this :)

Edited by F13Bubba

That sounds more like a card issue to me. 500w, although not a lot, should cover your system as it's not particularly demanding.

Verify the stability of your card before you spend on a new power supply.

I know I have more than enough wattage, but it only puts out 18A, and most modern video cards require 24+. I'm just worried that my psu isn't getting it enough amperage. And I'm hoping to go to a gtX460 soon, that's the main reason i want the XFX psu.

Well that card you have now could be the issue but a new power supply is needed if you want a GTX 460. That XFX unit you linked looks pretty buy you could get an equally good or better modular psu like the Corsair HX 750 would do a great job but for $10 more. That XFX has 2 more amps on the 12v rail but honestly if you are cutting it that close you need to step up to a bigger PSU all together.

The thing I worry about is XFX PSU are pretty new and no one knows how they do over time. I like XFX as a company but you never know what to expect. If I were you I would get the XFX unit but I would keep everything you need for a warranty just in case it does die.

Edited by gabrieltessin

The thing I worry about is XFX PSU are pretty new and no one knows how they do over time. I like XFX as a company but you never know what to expect. If I were you I would get the XFX unit but I would keep everything you need for a warranty just in case it does die.

The XFX PSUs are one of the best money can buy. They are a hybrid of Seasonics two best platforms.

XFX 850W

Performance (40% of the final score) - the XFX 850W Black Edition came looking to make a splash, and ended up doing a cannonball big enough to just about drown the competition. Voltage regulation is nothing short of fantastic, efficiency is excellent, and ripple and noise is just about nonexistent. There are only a very few units able to compete with the performance of this machine, and I'm giving this unit the same performance score I gave them - 10.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - again, I'm having trouble thinking up things to complain about. I'd like to see a bit more detail to the user guide, and perhaps a seven year warranty instead of the five year one this unit currently has, but that's about it. Tons of modular cables, only a few necessary hardwired ones, and modular cable connectors that practically light up the room all by themselves all add up to a solid 9.5 here.

Value (30% of the final score) - This unit is so fresh it hasn't made it to many retailers yet, but the MSRP on this unit is $199. This will put it into direct competition between it, its cousin in the PC P&C 910W, and the formidable Corsair HX850. This also makes it cheaper than the Enermax

Revolution 85+ 850W, at least at Newegg. That's going to make things really interesting for anyone looking to make a decision between all these awesome units... I'm not sure if I could make up my mind. 10.

Aesthetics (10% of the final score) - ok, I'm going to be brutally honest here - I don't like all the bright green on this thing. Other than that, the XFX isn't a terribly bad looking unit. Certainly, it is better looking in reality than the picture on the box made me think it was going to look. I'm going to go with a 7 here... the green just didn't grow on me enough to do any better here.

Reviewed by JonnyGuru:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=165

XFX 750W:

Performance (40% of the final score) - there should be little doubt as to what score I'm going to give this unit here. This unit combines utterly amazing voltage regulation with outstanding efficiency and just about the best ripple and noise suppression I have ever seen. And it does it all silently, too, because I sure couldn't hear that fan at any time. Even in the hot box. I almost wish I could hand out better than a perfect score, but I can't so I won't. 10.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - this unit is going to get the same score big brother did here, because this unit does just as many things right. I like the differing lengths to the modular peripheral cables, the sleeving is well done, and the modular cable connectors are easy to see in a dark case. But this unit also does as many things wrong as big brother. I speak of those mounting screws, threaded as they are for optical drives, the five year warranty in comparison to other brands' seven years, and the user guide that barely has the basics printed in it. I'd complain about that zip tie around the hardwired cables as well, since it's applied too far away from the unit, hindering cable management, but that's an easy one to remedy - just cut it off. The unit doesn't need it. So, all things considered I'll give this unit a 9.5 for doing most things right.

Value (30% of the final score) - right now, Newegg and Tiger Direct are offering this unit for $139.99. Know what you can get for the same price at Newegg? The Corsair 750HX. Considering how close the performance is between these two units, I'm just going to go ahead and throw out another 10.

Aesthetics (10% of the final score) - now, I will admit I've warmed up some to the green fan. It's not as gaudy as it was when I first saw it, and at least the unit has a distinctive look to it. I haven't warmed up to it that much, though, so this unit gets an 8.

JonnyGuru again:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=184

Jonny Guru is, if not, one of THE best websites for PSU reviews. Period. Now, unless you don't like the look of them, they are one of the best PSUs money can buy.