Frustration with Servpro, temps 102C+

endorphiend

Preface: My apartment burned down approximately a month ago. I lost some furniture, and most of my electronics were heavily smoke damaged. My insurance company recommended a company called Servpro to disassemble, clean, and reassemble my electronics. So, they hauled my electronics away, and this morning I (finally) got them back. At the very least, a computer that reeked of smoke no longer has an odor.

I fired up my (now old) computer and made a beeline for my BIOS's temperature monitor since I don't trust anybody but myself to install a heatsink in my computer. I wasn't completely certain if they had taken the heatsink off, so I wanted to fire it up at the very least to check the temps.

112C idling in the BIOS. Instantly dive for the power button.

I removed the heatsink. It appeared they didn't reapply thermal paste, they just took off my heatsink, let it sit in open air for a while, and put it back on when they were done. After a thorough cleaning, I put AS5 on, secured the heatsink to the bracket and fired her up.

102C idling in the BIOS. Instantly dive for the power button.

I removed the heatsink. Cleaned the thermal paste off. Tightened the screws on the heatsink bracket attached to my motherboard. Reapplied AS5. Fired it up.

102C idling in the BIOS. Instantly dive for the power button.

I'm about to disassemble the computer and check the rear mounting bracket for the heat sink, since it still feels a little wobbly compared to my NH-D14. While I'm doing this, does anybody have any other ideas? Could the cleaning process have damaged a temperature sensor? Am I overlooking something?

....I was about to type something and thought "Is that Celsius or Fahrenheit?".could you have looked at the F reading and mistaken that for the Celsius reading? I know you know the difference, but brain farts happen.

Don't think so, it was 200F+. Almost have it reassembled but didn't see anything noticeably wrong with the backplate for the heatsink.

I'll triple check that when I fire it back up.

feel the base of the heatsink at startup and or as near to the Processor as possible and if you don't feel like your hand is going to blow up I would say it's a broken sensor. I think you should call them up and demand reimbursement

Or not... it just shut itself down, most likely from heat (computer has no history of instability whatsoever).

I would tell them that it was working fine before and that now it won't run properly and you want reimbursement for it. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

PS i work for a restoration company and you wouldn't believe the stuff people get replaced and there is nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, we'll see how it works over time. Now I have it booted up and the sensor is showing very normal temps. Didn't change anything, just rebooted. Gonna try rebooting several times and see if it just works fine on random boot ups or what.

If it only works occasionally I'm going to see about getting it replaced, or a check for what it's worth.

The heat/smoke could have damaged it as well. The fire was a reasonable distance from my computer so I'm not sure on heat, but it was on at the time and sucking in a lot of smoke.