Need some help with an overclock from the experts

Hi everybody. I'd kinda given up trying to figure out this problem, but I stumbled across this site and figured I might as well try and ask for help.

My issue comes when I OC my Q8400 to anything above 3.0GHz. @3GHz, everything is stable, temps are idle around 40 degrees (I know I could get them lower, but I didn't feel like messing with my vCore for a such a pathetic overclock, just left it on auto).

When I OC to say, 3.2GHz, I can get a stable overclock with a wide range of voltages, but the problem occurs whenever I try to watch any video. Be it Netflix, something in Window Media Center, whenever sometime in the players move (such as the Netflix menu bar when in full screen) the video gets a horrific stutter and lags until the movement is done. The only way to combat this is to not watch in full screen.

The strange thing is, at 3.0GHz I have no trouble at all. I have tried different voltages for the higher overclock, thinking my the CPU wasn't getting enough power, but no dice. Even when left on auto, it doesn't work (and my mobo has a bad habit of overvolting, it hovers at 1.52volts @ 3.2GHz. Hell, right now its sitting at 1.424V @ 3.0GHz).

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem?

System Specs:

CPU: Intel Q8400 2.66GHz @ 3.0GHz (currently)

GPU: nVidia GTX 460 1 GB @ 860/1720/2050 (I have tried this at stock settings as well, no change with the video problems)

PSU: Corsair 620W

Mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe

Memory: Corsair XMS2 1GB DDR2 x4 (4GB)

If there is anything else you need to know please ask. :)

Thank you for reading!

I hate to be the guy to ask the "Are you a retard question" but you did plug the extra PCI-e power cables needed for that card? I cant remember if its one 6pin or two 6pin, but i know it needs atleast one. I had a friend with a similar issue and it was because his GPU wasnt getting enough power, not because he didnt have the PCI-e power cables plugged in, but because his PSU was garbage, but your 620w shouldnt have any issue with what you got.

Got latest drivers from the web and not the CD right?

Umm... maybe it is your overclock, have you tried running Prime95 to see if you CPU is actually stable? Its possible your mobo is overvolting the hell outta it and the heat is forcing it to fail miserably... good way to test is set your CPU back to stock settings and try again.

Have you tried playing any games? Does the game run badly? Or is it just videos?

I guess i could keep listing possible problems but ill give you a chance to answer some of my questions, and maybe do a bit of testing.

**Edit: I should mention, im not the expert you were looking for lol, So long as you dont mind getting help from a noob**

Edited by MercuryDoun

I have actually tried to fix this with both the current certified drivers and the beta nVidia drivers. Still the same issue.

And yes, I plugged in the extra power cables, I remember because I was surprised and needed to rework my wiring situation, as the old 8800 GTS I replaced only needed one.

I think I may have narrowed down the problem some though. The only videos that freak the heck out are based in flash. I changed the playback on a locally stored file from using MPC to using windows media player, and it stopped lagging. (That could be a whole other issue though, as Media Player Classic has almost been terrible for me ever since I went to 64bit Windows.)

Now that I think about it, there was a Flash Player update about a week or so ago, and maybe there was something in that update that messed it up... but I don't know where to find an older version of flash to test it.

Its just so strange that I can play every game I have with almost no issues, yet flash videos freak out when the CPU is overclocked.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but yes, I have run many stress tests using Prime95, OCCT, and Furmark and there is nothing to suggest I am not stable. Prime95 causes the CPU to never go over 75 degrees, and that is with my probably having the voltage up higher than I need too. I have it set at ~1.43 in my BIOS, CPU-Z says its idles at 1.40 and droops to 1.35 under max load.

Edited by arcdraconis

I really wanna blame Flash on this one.... but i mean... if the ULV AMD Turion Neo Dual core at 1.5Ghz in my ultra portable, can handle the latest flash updates with no issues then im pretty sure your Core2 Quad can, lol.

I know streaming Netflix doesnt use a codec, but something your playing on windows media player classic should, maybe you should look for some updated codecs.

I just cant see this being a hardware issue if your games play without a hitch but you cant watch a flash video... but it somehow seems to be effected by your Over clock... Maybe you should bench your OC'd CPU And then bench it at stock and compare, not only with your OC and stock CPU, but with others online. I think a good program for this would be 3Dmark06. Maybe something is wrong with your over clock, not everything is about vcore when your over clocking, maybe you need to give your NB or SB alittle more juice, or maybe alittle less?