Suggestions on Cooling in a Hades

MTV

Hi all, its been around 4 years since I last built a computer (have been using a laptop since then which recently died) but I decided that seeing as I no longer need a laptop for work, I'd go back to the performance of a PC. I had the PC built (gimme a break! Its been 4 years! :P) and sent out and have been looking into OC'ing it. Nothing too extreme, but why settle for stock?!

The issue I've got is that the case I went with (NZXT Hades) leaves me with only 131mm (~5.16 inches) of headroom over the CPU for cooling due to the side fan on the case itself. Which obviously rules out a lot of tower-type air coolers. I have a few options, but not a real lot of expertise in the area so I'm looking for a bit of advice...

Firstly, the specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090t

MoBo: ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3

RAM: 6GB g.skill 1333MHz (3x2GB)

GPU: XFX GeForce GTS 250 Core Edition

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12

PSU: OCZ ModXStream 600W

Case: NZXT Hades (stock configuration of fans - 200mm intake front, 200mm intake side, 120mm exhaust rear & 140mm exhaust top)

The way I see it I have a few options:

First:

Go with a shelf/downdraft heatsink (CM Vortex Plus?) and leave the side intake fan in. This is the cheapest and easiest option by far at only $45. I thought of one of those awesome Noctua downdraft heatsinks but they are expensive...

Second:

Remove the side intake. This increases my headroom over the CPU to around 165mm (~6.4 inches). That would allow me to use a taller tower-style heatsink and place a second 140mm exhaust up top to help cover the lost airflow. This option sits in the middle pricing-wise at around $55-$65 but that side fan is doing a great job of keeping my mobo and RAM cool so I'm a little hesitant on this one...

Third:

Liquid cooling. Thinking of one of those Corsair H50's with the radiator placed where the rear exhaust is at present and move that fan to the empty second slot up top allowing me to keep the side intake. This is the most expensive option at around $150 but would yield the best results I think but would require me saving up some extra cash as I don't have that sort of money lying around having just forked out almost 2 grand on a new system...

Decisions decisions!!! Any advice? Do I really gain anything for keeping that side fan? Or do I toss it?

Any and all help appreciated! TIA

Hi all, its been around 4 years since I last built a computer (have been using a laptop since then which recently died) but I decided that seeing as I no longer need a laptop for work, I'd go back to the performance of a PC. I had the PC built (gimme a break! Its been 4 years! :P) and sent out and have been looking into OC'ing it. Nothing too extreme, but why settle for stock?!

The issue I've got is that the case I went with (NZXT Hades) leaves me with only 131mm (~5.16 inches) of headroom over the CPU for cooling due to the side fan on the case itself. Which obviously rules out a lot of tower-type air coolers. I have a few options, but not a real lot of expertise in the area so I'm looking for a bit of advice...

Firstly, the specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090t

MoBo: ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3

RAM: 6GB g.skill 1333MHz (3x2GB)

GPU: XFX GeForce GTS 250 Core Edition

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12

PSU: OCZ ModXStream 600W

Case: NZXT Hades (stock configuration of fans - 200mm intake front, 200mm intake side, 120mm exhaust rear & 140mm exhaust top)

The way I see it I have a few options:

First:

Go with a shelf/downdraft heatsink (CM Vortex Plus?) and leave the side intake fan in. This is the cheapest and easiest option by far at only $45. I thought of one of those awesome Noctua downdraft heatsinks but they are expensive...

Second:

Remove the side intake. This increases my headroom over the CPU to around 165mm (~6.4 inches). That would allow me to use a taller tower-style heatsink and place a second 140mm exhaust up top to help cover the lost airflow. This option sits in the middle pricing-wise at around $55-$65 but that side fan is doing a great job of keeping my mobo and RAM cool so I'm a little hesitant on this one...

Third:

Liquid cooling. Thinking of one of those Corsair H50's with the radiator placed where the rear exhaust is at present and move that fan to the empty second slot up top allowing me to keep the side intake. This is the most expensive option at around $150 but would yield the best results I think but would require me saving up some extra cash as I don't have that sort of money lying around having just forked out almost 2 grand on a new system...

Decisions decisions!!! Any advice? Do I really gain anything for keeping that side fan? Or do I toss it?

Any and all help appreciated! TIA

the H50 is cheaper than that http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010

Oh, I should have classified that I'm in Australia, not the US. H50's are around $150 USD all shipped over here. Unfortunately, newegg don't ship out here... :(

The H70, the H50's successor, should be out soon too.

I looked into the H70 but supposedly its not all that amazing vs the H50 according to the early reviews. Overclock3d put it like this:

"If you run an AMD system and so have much less heat to disperse therefore, the H70 isn't really the one to go for because the H50 will cool equally as well and yet take up less room. Not to mention it is around £30 cheaper."

But did those early reviews look at overclocking the CPU? And still, the H70 will give more headroom for heat than the H50. Hopefully the OCC review will be up soon.

In any case, being in Australia does make this more difficult. What does ship out there, or what is local?

It'll take me a little while to get enough cash together for just the H50 anyway if I go down that route, so the OCC H70 review should be up by then and I can make a decision based on the H50 or H70 then.

As for supplies, I can get just about everything that's listed in the States (or at least on newegg) locally so supply is no big deal. I'm more interested in setup advice at present...