Overclocking NB and memory

MtRskllz

this is my first time with this so please be easy on me, lol

i currently have my memory set at 1728mhz and timing is 8-8-8-24

i have been told that my NB frequency should be close to double my memory, the highest i can currently go is 2817, when i went to 3200 (the next setting) it would not post.

is where i am at now good enough, or should i increase voltage to the nb and try the higher setting again, if so what should i be raising voltage in increments of

my cpu is running nice and cool at 3.68 mhz

asus m4a89gtd

amd 965 black (stock cooler)

crucial ballistix tracer 1600

i am not trying to go crazy just yet, just a nice stable 24/7 clock

also should i be trying to lower my timings a bit

post-69016-12814024255308_thumb.png

this is my first time with this so please be easy on me, lol

i currently have my memory set at 1728mhz and timing is 8-8-8-24

i have been told that my NB frequency should be close to double my memory, the highest i can currently go is 2817, when i went to 3200 (the next setting) it would not post.

is where i am at now good enough, or should i increase voltage to the nb and try the higher setting again, if so what should i be raising voltage in increments of

my cpu is running nice and cool at 3.68 mhz

asus m4a89gtd

amd 965 black (stock cooler)

crucial ballistix tracer 1600

i am not trying to go crazy just yet, just a nice stable 24/7 clock

also should i be trying to lower my timings a bit

NB double memory is wrong. Remember higher memory frquencies do not really give much better performance but can hinder your overclock. Play around with your multi's and dividers and keep memory stable. Run memtest and see if the memory is stable.

Edited by Drdeath

For the most part you do. What I suggest you do is leave the memory at factory until its time to loosen the timing to try and get stability back. Once you have achieved max cpu over clock after getting your cpu overclock or ,where you want it to be, fiddle with the timings and move the dividers til its not prime stable. After that you are done.. Moving the nb up is done mostly during the cpu. If you have too that is. With amd cpu's I normally have to increase the volts and the frequency at 3.6 - 3.8.

Hope this helps... Boinker

P.s. I would overclock that think allot more then you have before jacking up the memory. Already make a run at 4 ghz before doing that.

sorry but I was just now able to see the cpu-id

OK

- i dropped my dram to 1500mhz and tightened the timings to 7-7-7-24 (memory is rated at 1600. but when i first started it up it was set at 1333)

-i raised the bus speed to 225. bringing my cpu to 3.837 ghz

-and left the nb where it was

is this closer to what i should be doing

i really don't want to go much higher with the cpu until i get a better cooler than the stock unit,

honestly i am getting more confused the farther i go, but i am also learning a lot at the same time - i hope i interpreted what you guys were saying correctly and made the right changes

thanks a lot for the help so far, i really appreciate it

post-69016-12814893287744_thumb.png

Edited by MtRskllz

Use the multiplier to overclock the cpu until you cannot go any further with the cpu. Google "Dolk's guide to the phenom II" that that will start you out over clocking that chip. While your there on goole look up varrens guide to overclocking. Both those guide will get your basics going. :cheers: